PDA

View Full Version : Serious About Learning Thai

Pages : [1] 2

free
17-08-2004, 10:13 AM
I start this thread as a place to hold serious discussions regarding Learning the Thai Language. By learning, I dun mean just speak, for we may want to read and write as well. Bros may have different purposes, whether it is to do business, find a job, got to know a Thai lady (friend, tirak or WL/FL) and want to enhance your communication with her, etc. Whether u engaged in commerical sex, making love with your love one, or abstain totally, it doesn't matter. Fact is your time in LOS will be enhanced all the more, cos you can communicate properly, without having to stick out like a sore thumb when u speak up. If the Italian friend (runs a travel agency) I met in CR can speak Thai like a local, so can we!

I have found that being able to pronounce the Thai words correctly and also use correct sentence structure has greatly enhanced my life in Thailand. Being able to speak with all "classes" of people, including University lecturers, students, businessmen, taxi drivers, foodstall holders, and just about anyone I meet without them knowing I am not a Thai Chinese, until we get into more "advanced" topics that require more advance volcaburary (and there's where I need to take out my PDA Thai dictionary) is really exciting and fun. When I could speak to a 5 year old who would not understand me unless I speak correctly (diction and structure), it was very satisfying. Being able to understand much of the Thai TV dramas (u hear formal and informal Thai being spoken) has led me into a whole new world of TV watching in Thailand. I could discuss the drama with my tirak (in thai of course). Being able to converse with my tirak's parents who dun know any English has been a joy, not to mention help me to win their confidence. Being able to get on a Thai Airways flight, and speak Thai with all around me (not word of English) until the guy next to me tried to advice me that I need not fill in the immigration form since I am Thai, not a thanchart (foreign) has been a big boost of confidence & spurred me on to read/write more urgently.

Yes, my time spent in LOS has become richer eversince I started my journey to learn the Thai language in August exactly 1 year ago, all because I had to meet my tirak's parents 4 months later in January 2004.

What is your motivation? Mine is to be able to speak just like a Thai (doing not too bad for now), read/write like one (still a long way off), maybe live there and blend into their environment/culture (long term).

For starters, there is a good learning Thai book that comes with 2 CDs at 799 baht available from most of the major bookstores in LOS. Can buy from Internet but cost more.

Thai for Beginners By Benjawan Becker (http://www.thaihypermarket.com/books/index.html?target=p_9.html&lang=en-us). Buy the book, listen to the 2 CDs esp the early parts to get a good grasp of the pronounciation of the different consonants, vowels and tones, etc.

Also if you have a Palm PDA, consider splurging US$40 for a English-Phonetic-Thai Dictionary (http://word-in-the-hand.com/) . I used it everyday, even now. An invaluable tool.

Buy the above stuff, spend an half an hour to an hour a day initially, learning. Then start to ask yourself questions in Thai and answer yourself too, if you have no opportunities to converse in Thai back where u live. Think in Thai (not English/mandarin), and you will realise the syntax is like broken English - not too bad. Better yet if u know Malay, cos sentence structure similar. Confirm what you think with a Thai friend, if possible.

Wanna be crazy- get a cellphone with Thai language and try sms as well. If you need the layout of the thai consonants for the handphone keypad, go here (http://209.95.110.196/tgh/hp_keyboard.jpg). For Nokia, the vowels and other tone modifiers menu can be activated by holding down the "*" key

Soon you will be on the way. Take care

free
17-08-2004, 11:44 AM
THought there is already a thread for thai language. :rolleyes:
I know, and I had thought a lot about whether to start a new one that is relevant or whether it would be a duplicate.

I am trying to differentiate between just learning Thai to get along in LOS, and learning seriously to a point where one can read documents, even do translation of written thai. Most bros in SB will not need nor want to do this, but some are serious enough to do so, especially those looking into starting businesses where one need to be able to read/write documents written in Thai (like those I am considering), cos I can't have a translator going around with me all the time.

free
17-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Dont think anyone wants to do it seriously in this forum. People who ask about thai language here just want some quick fix (translation) to chat with their tii-rak.
Not too sure about that. Depends on the groups of people we meet with. I have met some bros who are keen and have come some way to learn Thai seriously, after purchasing the book I am using.

thaiboy
17-08-2004, 09:03 PM
I want to learn........ :rolleyes:

kwanteen
17-08-2004, 11:24 PM
me osso want to learn, when n where the class going to start :)

tirak99
18-08-2004, 12:58 AM
Just meet up with him in GL la kopi session. Lesson will start at 1am. kekeke... counting down... :D

tirak69
18-08-2004, 01:18 AM
u my si-fu... whr got need to learn... we all must learn from you leh... share some tips? :p

free
18-08-2004, 02:03 AM
Just meet up with him in GL la kopi session. Lesson will start at 1am. kekeke... counting down...
Haha, funny :p . Anyway it was nice to meet up again. remind me to pass you ur SIM card when we meet again. Man, feels wierd but really happy to realise I have come 1 full circle in the course of my LDTR. This time round, its even better!

Pom[R] Rak[H] Kao[R] Jing Jing (ผม รัก เขา จริงๆ )
.I........Love...Her.....Truly

Check out the link in my signature to get an idea of the 5 tones in Thai Phonetics. Hope it is useful. Remember also that there are are short and long vowels.(as in "mai" versus "maai"). The sound for the long vowels are more dragged out.

free
18-08-2004, 02:32 AM
Bro thaiboy,

Everybody knows that you have been a pioneer in Thailand for many years, and I respect you for that. I just hope u understand that there are many of us who dun have the opportunity to live in LOS, but are serious about learning the language properly nevertheless, me included. And many of us will not have the time to attend a proper language class.

I am humbled when I realised that my written thai is at about the level of the 5 year old boy I have come to love so much. Reading is better, but only cos I have the help of my PDA dictionary.

Yes, I know I got a long long way to go, but unless I take the first steps and start now, I will never end up where I want to be. I believe there are others like me too. Many good reasons for learning thai - be it for commercial or personal reasons. I am just trying to share what I have discovered in my course of learning Thai.

Sometimes what the books teach may be the complete opposite of what the local Thais may use. (See this post on Tirak vs Faen (http://forum.sammyboy.com/showpost.php?p=544021&postcount=1155)) For example, for the word "Faen" versus "Tirak", what the dictionary gives me was that Faen refers to loved one, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife while Tirak refers to darling, sweetheart. I thought that Faen is a stronger term to describe one's partner but according to TG that I just discuss this with today, her pespective was that Tirak is a stronger term. Now I want to find out more about the real difference between these 2 terms. Anyone can contribute?

Bro thaiboy, I hope that you can help contribute to this thread- and perhaps be our master & sifu. I see myself only as a pilgrim, together with other fellow travellers in our quest to learn this most interesting language.

free
18-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Sometimes what the books teach may be the complete opposite of what the local Thais may use. (See this post on Tirak vs Faen (http://forum.sammyboy.com/showpost.php?p=544021&postcount=1155)) For example, for the word "Faen" versus "Tirak", what the dictionary gives me was that Faen refers to loved one, boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife while Tirak refers to darling, sweetheart. I thought that Faen is a stronger term to describe one's partner but according to TG that I just discuss this with today, her pespective was that Tirak is a stronger term. Now I want to find out more about the real difference between these 2 terms. Anyone can contribute?

Sorry, the correct post is here: (See this post on Tirak vs Faen (http://forum.sammyboy.com/showpost.php?p=542659&postcount=1123))

Not too sure why this gal thinks this way. Maybe cos it is because of the industry she is in? She has now become a good friend, and I dun think she has reasons to bluff me. It is really how she perceives it.

I dun know the full answer yet, but will find out from more people.

free
18-08-2004, 04:37 AM
Good News,

Now Thai for Beginners is available on the PC! Check it Out (http://www.thailandguidebook.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=4381).

Any one who buy this & use it can do an FR? I got the book/CDs already or I will invest in it for sure.

khunchin
18-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Bro thaiboy,

Oh now I know the meanig of 'Faen' i thought was friend. When my tirak was talking to her friend on phone, she refer me as her 'Faen' instead of tirak n i feel suspicious especially when she talking to male :confused:

This thread on Learning Thai will be very good but wat tools or equipment is need before all bro interested can start?

Anyway, Bro free, I will suppport u and also hope all the pro bro will contribute to assist......

thousand thanks :cool:

The Crow
18-08-2004, 11:19 AM
Not everyone got that grasp for language, so it will be difficult for them.
Back in 1993 when i was learning in JooChiat CC, teacher was a translator at MOM then, think now retire liao. There were many who dropped out after the 1st stage, and only a few handful who were serious as either due to business or simply interest were left to continue to the next level.

I have always believed that a good foundation is the only way to learn any language and with practice of course, and with the right person to practice lah hahah. There were some in my class then who could speak a little and from my observation, cheongsters for sure.

free
18-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Oh now I know the meanig of 'Faen' i thought was friend. When my tirak was talking to her friend on phone, she refer me as her 'Faen' instead of tirak n i feel suspicious especially when she talking to male :confused:

This thread on Learning Thai will be very good but wat tools or equipment is need before all bro interested can start?

Anyway, Bro free, I will suppport u and also hope all the pro bro will contribute to assist......

thousand thanks :cool:
Most basic tool is a good reference/guide/teaching book. I bought Colloqial Thai at a very high cost (almost S$70) but found that it wasn't that good due to the confusing transliteraton method used (like many other books & websites). I found Thai for Beginners (799 baht with CD version, 299 baht book only) to be the best system for me so far. There's no website today that is capable of showing the special fonts used in Thai for Beginners, so wif I am successful, the SB forum and my home forum will be the 1st.

Maybe the software version of Thai for Beginners may contain the fonts. Anyway I am in the process of creating this special font in Windows (not perfect yet but still can be used), and will share it with bros here once I complete it. With this method of writing, I can get my diction (pronunciation & phonetics) correct. Happy to share. However, please remember that the best way is still to read/write the actual Thai scripts/words.

Go here for a sample of how it may look like (http://209.95.110.196/tgh/learnthai/) (not perfected yet)

po\m ra[k ka\o ma^ak
ผม รัภ เค้า มาก
I Love Her Very Much

free
18-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Not everyone got that grasp for language, so it will be difficult for them.
Back in 1993 when i was learning in JooChiat CC, teacher was a translator at MOM then, think now retire liao. There were many who dropped out after the 1st stage, and only a few handful who were serious as either due to business or simply interest were left to continue to the next level.

I have always believed that a good foundation is the only way to learn any language and with practice of course, and with the right person to practice lah hahah. There were some in my class then who could speak a little and from my observation, cheongsters for sure.
Bro,
Are u "The Crow" in ICQ? If u are, welcome. Haven't talk to u for a while. Hope all is fine :cool:

thaiboy
18-08-2004, 04:59 PM
Bro thaiboy,

Bro thaiboy, I hope that you can help contribute to this thread- and perhaps be our master & sifu. I see myself only as a pilgrim, together with other fellow travellers in our quest to learn this most interesting language.

Bro free i maybe in thailand for donkey years but i am still learning, as for the question between faen and tirak u have the right explanation but is up to individual to use it and liking. As for me i prefer using "meya" as wife, "sa mi"or"pua" as husband, "faen" for girlfriends and boyfriends and tirak for sweet talking kekekeke :D for me using "meya" and "sa mi" show stronger relationship terms and more polite, i always call my wife "meya ja" or when love making i call Tirak Ja.............arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

siamcutey
18-08-2004, 08:26 PM
Bro free i maybe in thailand for donkey years but i am still learning, as for the question between faen and tirak u have the right explanation but is up to individual to use it and liking. As for me i prefer using "meya" as wife, "sa mi"or"pua" as husband, "faen" for girlfriends and boyfriends and tirak for sweet talking kekekeke :D for me using "meya" and "sa mi" show stronger relationship terms and more polite, i always call my wife "meya ja" or when love making i call Tirak Ja.............arhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D

I love to call the girl Nong while she call me PII when we make love. So what is that?

Only in Singapore, "tirak" is really kinda exaggerated.

hahaha
SC

thaiboy
18-08-2004, 08:40 PM
I love to call the girl Nong while she call me PII when we make love. So what is that?

hahaha
SC

good one SC...some couples do call each other Pii or Nong, very poilte, sweet and respect way to address each other...Piiii kaaaa....

tirak69
19-08-2004, 12:03 AM

hahaha
SC
do i detect a hint of pii-norng relationship here... scandalous siah!!! kekeke ;)

free
19-08-2004, 12:34 AM
I realised that quite a few thais refer to their handphones as "mir tir มือ ถือ" (please see my signature for updates in phonetic represention of "mir tir" - coming soon)

Mir มือ = Hand
Tir ถือ = Hold

Literally it means Handheld - very american isn't it?

toothbrush
19-08-2004, 12:44 AM
good one SC...some couples do call each other Pii or Nong, very poilte, sweet and respect way to address each other...Piiii kaaaa....

Does it apply to lady not in the WL trade?
Cos i often realise the WL are very bold and direct in their words

free
19-08-2004, 12:56 AM
Does it apply to lady not in the WL trade?
Cos i often realise the WL are very bold and direct in their words
Totally applies.I know many ordinary folks who do that. It's like the Malay women tending to call their husbands "Abang"

Pi simply is a polite prefix the name of an older sibling - elder brother or sister

Like sometimes chinese gals also call their men "<name> ker" and the men called their women "<name> mei"

free
19-08-2004, 01:02 AM
i think its because they are from the countryside. notice how they dont say ka when they speak.
Dun think that is correct. From my limited (but sufficient in this case) understanding of Thais, especially the younger and thus more casual ones, don;t say "ka" or "krap/kap" when they speak to their peers. My girlfriend too dun say ka to me too much, like she dun with her close friends.

But her parents (definitely from the country side) especially dad, used a lot of "krap"s when he speaks to me and I made sure I do the same. Else I would be considered rude, though I think he is more forgiving as ge is knows I am not a Thai and couldn't even utter a single sentence when I first spoke to him on the phone.

keet
19-08-2004, 01:02 AM
my wife calls me Pii too but in Canto ver. " Tai Loh" :D
some gals got strong Issan accent so sometimes say liao not very natural as the Central residents.

rocketscientist
19-08-2004, 03:28 PM
My tirak calls me POR ZHA....literally translate is Hey Father but actual meaning is Hey Husband. And I call her MIA ZHA.

free
19-08-2004, 04:16 PM
Seems like we got a few of us being "JA-ed". Your wife from Northern Thailand? Wondered if it is particular to that region. My tirak often calls me "Free Jaa" (of course subsitituted with my real name lah :p . "Jaa" is simply a particle placed after name or kin term to call the attention of someone in an intimate way (like "Ka" or "Kap"). She also used it as "Yes" when answering me (always does that in a very sweet way that makes me smile each time she does it).

For benefit of other bros, "Jaa" (จ๋า ) has a long vowel (drag out the "aa" sound) and is a Rising Tone {Jaa[R]}. Can also be written as "Ja\a (viewable if u download the "MyThai" font from my signature link.
Pronunciation is like the 2nd "pa" sound in "papa" (father) as spoken by Hokkiens, with the 2nd "pa" dragged out a little longer.

Hope the above is useful to some brothers.

liketoplay
19-08-2004, 10:19 PM
my wife calls me Pii too but in Canto ver. " Tai Loh" :D
some gals got strong Issan accent so sometimes say liao not very natural as the Central residents.

are you serious or kidding your wife calls you ' tai loh ' ?

keet
19-08-2004, 10:31 PM
serious lah, been calling that for last 10yrs liao, now speak Thai also abit un-natural.. :D
Pii jaaa only with my tiraks... heheheh

free
19-08-2004, 11:34 PM
Another crazy way to learn - Listen to Thai radio on the Internet. Here's a link I listen to often (listening as I type now)
BBC Thailand (http://www.bbc.co.uk/thai/thai1930.ram)

One "Official" Thai radio by Govt.
Radio Internet of Public Relations Department (http://www.prd.go.th/mcic/radio.htm)

or take your pick from this link:
Thailand Radio (http://splash.handii.com/thailand_radio.htm)

Happy listening. Now, I can understand only about 30%-40%. IMHO, listening to news (worse via PC-cannot see anything) is harder than watching TV dramas (Duu Nang-[R] or Duu Na\ng). Target is 80% by Bplaai Bpii (year end). Hope I can achieve this humongius task once again, like my 1st attempt to speak to my tirak's father from zero-to-acceptable conversation in 4 months..

free
19-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Sorry Accidentally repost (double click) wish I can delete

keet
20-08-2004, 08:14 AM
got this link from a bro.. good connection for TV.

http://thai.cside.tv/

free
21-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Here is another good forum to learn Thai. Basically not so much for cheongsters but the day-to-day use of the Thai language by "normal" folks. Here u get to interact with Thai as well as non-thais. People are friendly and serious.

Learning the Thai Language (http://www.thailandguidebook.com/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=SF;f=3)

Happy Learning

cyrus
22-08-2004, 01:36 PM

Yup, I guess you are right. My girl was already calling me sa mii when having conversation with her friends ...

thaigers
22-08-2004, 02:53 PM
For those serious about learning thai, i wonder why no one mention about this book "Thai, an essential grammar " by David Smyth. A very good book in my opinion. It will be even better if it comes with CD. A very good companion to "Thai for beginners".

ParaParaSakura
22-08-2004, 05:55 PM
So foreigners teaching thai is better than locals teaching thai? not too convince.... :cool:Foreign teachers imho cannot be compare to native teachers. Even if the foreigner has a PHD in Thai langauge and well versed in all things concerning Thailand, Thai is still not his/her mother tongue......ideal candidate is a native Thai with teaching background and been residing in Singapore for a long period of time.....

free
22-08-2004, 06:36 PM
For those serious about learning thai, i wonder why no one mention about this book "Thai, an essential grammar " by David Smyth. A very good book in my opinion. It will be even better if it comes with CD. A very good companion to "Thai for beginners".
So foreigners teaching thai is better than locals teaching thai? not too convince.... :cool:
To a very large extent, I agree with you. The reasons why I recommend Thai for Beginners so highly, are:

I myself have benefitted so much from the book/CDs and believe that others can too
The approach is right (IMHO) and it recognises that learning the language using the actual Thai alphabets and pronunciation system is still the best way, and transliterations using English words should only be a temporary method, as they are literally useless in the real world in Thailand. No Thai uses the transliteration to communicate in the written word, either for business or for pleasure.
The author herself is an established native Thai language teacher (married to an American), and also skilled in the adavanced teaching methods used in the developed world
There is also an accompanying Palm PDA dictionary that uses the same method of transliteration (phonetics) and the Thai scripts/alphabets, written by an American who had a Thai gf who had lived in USA for 6 years. Again the approach works well. This dictionary is often my life saver when my limited vocab runs out of steam when the conversation I engaged in progresses to using terms out of my limited basket of words. There is not a single day since I bought this software that I have not touch the dictionary.

Compared to "Colloqial Thai" (much more costly and now a white elephant on my bookself), I didn't feel like I am trying to learn a language using an unnatural method (trying to use pure english alphabets to represent Thai phonetics ended up sounding rather incorrect). The TfB author recognizes that English phonetics can never represent Thai phonetics accurately and therefore she devices new characters to represent these "unnatural" sounds so that the student can speak Thai with the correct diction.

Of course TfB is only applicable to those who have no time to attend classes (cannot commit to a fixed schedule). With PC version available now, it should help. But please dun expect the book to do wonders for the student, just because the book is bought. Hardwork and consistency and a heck lot of discipline is needed to succeed (here's where my gf provides me with the incentive). By reading/listening, he is alone. He needs to find a way to practice speaking and jsut as importantly thinking in Thai, either by himself (like I did) until he gets the opportunity to speak with others, or immediately find a group of like-minded students to engage with.

However, having said all these, nothing beats having a consistent friend, or even better a gf/wife who is there to hear/see your mistakes as you practice speaking/writing/reading and lend her loving hand to correct you :) . Incentive is naturally high.

Just my 2 satangs' worth

Sornporn
22-08-2004, 09:24 PM
Bro free,

Can I get the book in Sillypore or is it only available for online orders?

free
22-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Bro free,

Personally I have not seen it here, or I would not have stupidly paid S$69 for Colloquial Thai. The cost of buying it in LOS (with 2 CDs) is 799 baht or 299 Baht w/o CDs. Do your sums and decide lah. Maybe u might want to try the PC version. Check my past post in this thread for the links.

subband
24-08-2004, 08:41 PM
Bro free,

bought the book with the cd version at hdy. cost 799 baht, a lot more cheaper than order online. But the cd software version inthe bookshop doesn't come cheap, cost about 1200 baht.

korb
24-08-2004, 10:04 PM
hi all, since this is serious about learning thai i also seriously recommand some good site

for those intermediate(knn my english is worst than my thai ,tui ) thai learner, want to upgrade yourself can try this site(in eng and thai)

siam novella (http://www.siamnovella.com/)

click under language, alot of thai books or

list (http://www.siamnovella.com/index.php?cPath=31_80)

if want to learn online,as i khoei post somewhere this site is good

dekkeng (http://www.dekgeng.com/index.htm)
although it is for primary standard but it good for foundation training.since serious about learning must well learn correct way as the thai student.
p/s said laew, this is for those who know thai.beginner sorry la.

korb
24-08-2004, 10:06 PM
err sorry, addition . free download of thai typing tutor and some misc stuff

free download (http://www.thaiphrasebook.com/links.php?cat=8)

ok mai guan laew.pai dee kwar

keet
24-08-2004, 10:18 PM
funny! :D

http://www.asiapacificadfest.com/01welcome/tvc_best.htm

tirak69
24-08-2004, 11:24 PM
funny! :D

http://www.asiapacificadfest.com/01welcome/tvc_best.htm
cool... wat abt the one i sent you... the tuna advert? another good one eh? thai adverts are getting more and more creative.

keet
24-08-2004, 11:25 PM
Lesson 1

listen and read all 44 consonants and memorise.
http://www.dekgeng.com/thai/reading.html

Lesson 2

test yourself on the consonants.
http://www.dekgeng.com/thai/testkorkai.html
3 icons at bottom
Left = start new game
Centre = Cancel
Right = calculate score

keet
24-08-2004, 11:27 PM
Lesson 3

Practice Writing
http://www.dekgeng.com/thai/korkai.html
side icon allow u to select in English

Practice 5 in a day and you'll memorise ALL in no time

cyrus
25-08-2004, 10:33 PM
cool... wat abt the one i sent you... the tuna advert? another good one eh? thai adverts are getting more and more creative.

In fact, I think that they are much better than Singapore.

free
25-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Agree. Fondly recalled how often their adverts puts a smile on my face during the frequent times I watched TV with my ex.SG adverts seldom make me do that.

keet
26-08-2004, 12:35 AM
Thai adverts all along have been one of the top 10 in terms of creativity unlike boring Sillypore.. :p

boyd zomkiat
27-08-2004, 11:35 PM
วัสดีทุกท่า่นครับ บอยดไม่ได้เข้ามาต้างนันแล้ว ดีแล้วละ ที่ได้เห็นคนแยะมาเรียนภาษาไทย

beginner may tends to have diffculties in remembering the 44 conso. is since
thai conso is divided into 3 class(high,mid,low),high class consist of 11; mid class consist of 9 and low class consist of 24. an easy way is to try remembering the mid and high class because they are lesser compare to the low class.once you remember the high and mid class the rest not on the list will off course fall into the low class cat.

today want to share 'classifiers' since alot of time people just don't know what the correct terms to use when refering to items or people.
i will just list the most used words here:
1. people- khon (eg. phom mee peuan sorng khon/i have two friend;khon puak nee/these people/person;phom mee pee sao sorng khon lae norng chai 1 khon/i have two sister and 1 younger brother)
2.animal/clothing/chair/table-dtua (maew 2 dtua/two cat;dtoh 1 dtua/one table)
3.fruit/egg/cup/bowl/small size paper such as ticket or postcard- bai (dtooa 2 dtua/2 tickets)
4.letter/newspaper/document/papers -cha-bup(nangseu phim sorng chabup/2 copy of newspaper)
5.book/knive - lem (nang seu sorng lem/2 book)
6.cake/meat/cloth/work - chin (look chin pla/fishball)
7. tv/hp/radio/pc - khreuang ( meu teu khreung/this mobilephone)
8.line as in bus line/route - saai (saai rot nee/this car route)
9.stories/about topic -reuang ( reung nee pen arai/what about this)
10.types/kind/sort - yahng ( mee yahng nee mai/have this kind/sort)

this is for you ,noo .soot tee rak korng p':
เธอเหนื่อยไหม
ที่ยังทนกับคนไม่เอาถ่าน
เธอเบื่อไหม
ที่ยังยอมให้คนไม่ได้ความ
ขอโทษจริงๆ
ที่ฉันทำให้เหนื่อยใจ

ฉันยอมรับ
ฉันไม่ใช่คนดีสักเท่าไหร่
และฉันพอรู้
ที่ทำดีให้เธอยังน้อยไป
แต่เธอยังทนอยู่
ยังเหมือนเดิมไม่ไปไหน

ขอบคุณจริงๆ
ที่เธอยังรัก ไม่เคยเปลี่ยน
ถึงฉันจะดีจะเลวขนาดไหน
และคนอย่างฉัน
ก็คงจะขอรักเธอตลอดไป
ให้คุ้มที่เธอได้ไว้ใจ
ตอบแทนวันนี้ที่ฉันมีเธอ

คนอย่างฉัน
ให้มันดีกว่านี้ก็ลำบาก
แต่นับจากนี้
ฉันจะดีกว่านี้ฉันรับปาก
จะยากเย็นเท่าไหร่
จะขอทำให้สุดใจ

free
28-08-2004, 12:31 AM
วัสดีทุกท่า่นครับ บอยดไม่ได้เข้ามาต้างนันแล้ว ดีแล้วละ ที่ได้เห็นคนแยะมาเรียนภาษาไทย

beginner may tends to have diffculties in remembering the 44 conso. is since
thai conso is divided into 3 class(high,mid,low),high class consist of 11; mid class consist of 9 and low class consist of 24. an easy way is to try remembering the mid and high class because they are lesser compare to the low class.once you remember the high and mid class the rest not on the list will off course fall into the low class cat.

today want to share 'classifiers' since alot of time people just don't know what the correct terms to use when refering to items or people.

Thanks bro. Would like to translate your english transliteration into the Thai for Beginners method. Hope u dun mind. If you dun mind, I would also like to try to translate your thai passage or song? - starting with "ter nuai mai" or "t}} n~]ai ma\i" (are you tired). Will do it asap.

boyd zomkiat
28-08-2004, 03:30 PM
hi free,
you can use it if it help others too. as for the last paragraph,it is actually a poem to my girlfriend. you can translate if you like. i will share what i had learned if time permit nexttime. have a good weekend.

free
30-08-2004, 12:04 AM
if your handphone can support thai (can go and load in GM - many Nokia models can), here's the keypad for Thai SMS. For vowels and tone marks, use the "*" button

Nokia Thai Keypad (http://209.95.110.196/tgh/nokia_keypad.jpg)

Jon_J
30-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi,

what is the meaning of 'mun sai' and 'kwan tin'. thanks. :)

keet
31-08-2004, 08:23 AM
Kwan Tin = Annoying/Disturbing Feet :p (dont use this word hor)

Mun Sai = basically Annoying but have the loving feeling type

Mun Kaeow = got that Munchy feeling that makes the gal want to bite u :D

cyrus
31-08-2004, 09:46 PM

Mun Kaeow = got that Munchy feeling that makes the gal want to bite u

Ohh .. Mun Kaeow, that's the one my girl always says to me when she bites me ... can't tell where she's biting lah ... kekekeke :D

But she sometimes also says "Sah-lit-nah" .. or at least that's how its being pronounce. Sounds very much Khon Nuer, chai mai? Khob Khon Chow.

Jon_J
31-08-2004, 10:38 PM

Mun Kaeow = got that Munchy feeling that makes the gal want to bite u :D

Korp kun mark karp pi keet,

How did you master thai language?

I can only speak some simple thai, cannot read any thai words.

keet
31-08-2004, 11:32 PM
Yep! i tell u when they say Mun Kaeow the really bite ok! :p until got deep marks sometimes with blood clot.. "yah len len na" hehehe

cyrus
01-09-2004, 12:20 AM
Yep! i tell u when they say Mun Kaeow the really bite ok! :p until got deep marks sometimes with blood clot.. "yah len len na" hehehe

CHAI!!! But I seems to luv it when she does it ... damn addictive ... :D

free
24-11-2004, 04:15 AM
Does any one know the meaning of "น๊ะ" in "น๊ะคนดี"? "คนดี" is easy enough. I know it is kon dee. Any help will be appreciated. Couldn;t even find it in the several dictionaries I checked. Not even in Lexitron!

Thanks so much in advance.

free
16-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Does any one know the meaning of "น๊ะ" in "น๊ะคนดี"? "คนดี" is easy enough. I know it is kon dee. Any help will be appreciated. Couldn;t even find it in the several dictionaries I checked. Not even in Lexitron!

Thanks so much in advance.
Answering my own question. "คนดี" is not just about "good man". It is also another way of calling "tirak" but somehow it is always the lady who used it on the man.

free
16-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Haha, after countless questions from other as to how my learning thai can help me in the economic sense, I finally am making some money with this beautiful language :p . Hmm, rates not to bad too. Sure beats having to teach JC students some boring school subjects.

I have started teaching Conversational Thai for Beginners to interested and serious students who need to pick up the language fast for work or personal reasons. And on a one-to-one personal tutorship basis. As far as I know I am probably one of the few, if not only local teacher. Plus I seemed to be the only one who use the Computer as a teaching tool as well.

In fact from feedback, I may be doing a better job than the typical ethnic that teacher cos I understand all the problems the SG student will have to go thru, plus I have at my disposal all the dialects and Singlish to aid the student in pronouncing correctly. I must thank the Language School for taking that step of faith in me, as it is also the 1st time for them to use a local teacher.

After several more students have taken this Beginners' class, I will probably go on to conduct a more advanced class - "Practical Reading/Writing of Thai Language", with the objectives being to be able to email, sms and Instant Message in Thai scripts. Already lined up an Internet cafe to house the class, as the Internet forms part of the necessary teaching materials/tools for this advanced class. No Thai Language School in SG will be able to do what I want to do. And since this will be a group class, the rates will be a group rate - cheaper than 1-to-1 class rate.

Bros/Sis interested in learning proper Conversational Thai can pm me, and also if u need more details.

free
31-08-2005, 08:37 PM
I am considering holding a group class for samsters (or otherwise) to teach Conversational Thai for Beginners - the proper way. Although the class is target mostly at beginners, more experienced bros who wish to improve their pronunciation are welcome too, although I would prefer to hold a separate class to do that if there is enough interest.

The focus of the class is to teach the spoken Thai language to students that they may be able to speak as accurately as possible, so that their foundation in the language would be strong. A lot of course will be places on getting the tones correct as well as the length of the vowel. All the understanding and experience I had to overcome the difficulties of learning this beautiful lanague, I will share in the class. In the class, students will learn an extremely good method of transliteration (romanized thai) that will serve as a foundation for future efforts to learn to read/write the actual thai words, instead of being thrown away like most systems we see today.

If the student practices hard enough, after a few months, even ethnic thais should find it hard to differentiate u from a thai person unless the conversation gets too deep, when one runs out of vocabulary words ;)

Students who complete the class can go on to the reading/writing class, where the focus will be to get you to be able to read/write the actual Thai Language to a point where reading and writing emails, sms and even live Internet chatting are the targets. Here, I will also teach and demonstrate all the tricks and skills I have mastered to allow you to harness the PC and the Internet to speed up your learning. A significant part of this class may be held in a less crowded Internet Cafe! (unless we can find a classroom with Internet access). Students will be writing to each other, and later to the Thais (in thailand) I will put u in touch with.

If you are interested in the Converstational Thai for Beginners class, please Email or PM with your email address (your privacy is assured) and I will let u know more details. I have 3 students already ONed. Only room for about 3 more so hurry! I dun want the class to be too big, if possible

taurus75
31-08-2005, 09:31 PM
brudder free..maybe it will be clearer to those interested to know more about the price for the course??
thanx..Khon Khun mak krup...

free
31-08-2005, 09:38 PM
brudder free..maybe it will be clearer to those interested to know more about the price for the course??
thanx..Khon Khun mak krup...
For group rates, the charge is S$30 per head, maximum 8 per group for a 2 hour duration. All learning materials will be provided.

For more details on the whole package, please PM or email me.

free
01-09-2005, 10:19 AM
For group rates, the charge is S$30 per head, maximum 8 per group for a 2 hour duration. All learning materials will be provided.

For more details on the whole package, please PM or email me.
Forgot to add, most people will take from 16-20 sessions for Conversational Thai for Beginners.

If want to move on to Practical Read/Writing Thai, it will be building on the lessons learnt in Conversational Thai for Beginners.

guru899
01-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Forgot to add, most people will take from 16-20 sessions for Conversational Thai for Beginners.

If want to move on to Practical Read/Writing Thai, it will be building on the lessons learnt in Conversational Thai for Beginners.

Watdee Khrap. Khun aw khruu mai khrap. Phom song phasa Thai dai la phuud Thai 7-8 pii leew.

free
01-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Watdee Khrap. Khun aw khruu mai khrap. Phom song phasa Thai dai la phuud Thai 7-8 pii leew.Er... Bro, I dun know your purpose of this particular post of yours but by saying "Khun aw khruu mai", your thai grammar is already wrong :o " -i,e,. the way you used " เอา ao (aw)" is incorrect and a thai speaker will not commit such mistakes.

Also, the transliteration method (romanized) thai you are using is outdated and it will actually be holding back the student as he progresses. Chances are that the student using your method will speak thai with inaccurate diction/pronunciation, even if he can get his sentence grammatically correct. As a result it is difficult for thais to understand him and this happens much more often if he is a stranger and as such will be too polite to say so.

And if the student wants to move on to reading and writing, the method you used will have to be thrown away and he will have to learn again from scratch, or worse spend a lot of time "UNLEARNING" cos he would have cultivated a lot of bad habit. On the other hand, the method I am teaching will actually allow the student to build on it. I myself learn to read/write enough to write letters, emails, sms and chat within 6 months from the day I started mission to read/write thai.

Sorry if my words seem offensive to you, but I am speaking hard facts that are backed by any Good and Well-known Thai Language Books authors.I would be more than happy and open to sharing with u and I am sure with the amount of time u have had speaking Thai, your vocabulary is probably far ahead of mine and therefore I can learn from u too. Take care na ja

ขอโทษจริงๆนะครับ ถ้าทำให้คุณโกรธ ขอ ยกโทษนะครับ

Hakoshu
01-09-2005, 07:49 PM
Tat is good thread by khun free

guru899
02-09-2005, 02:42 AM
Er... Bro, I dun know your purpose of this particular post of yours but by saying "Khun aw khruu mai", your thai grammar is already wrong :o " -i,e,. the way you used " เอา ao (aw)" is incorrect and a thai speaker will not commit such mistakes.

Also, the transliteration method (romanized) thai you are using is outdated and it will actually be holding back the student as he progresses. Chances are that the student using your method will speak thai with inaccurate diction/pronunciation, even if he can get his sentence grammatically correct. As a result it is difficult for thais to understand him and this happens much more often if he is a stranger and as such will be too polite to say so.

And if the student wants to move on to reading and writing, the method you used will have to be thrown away and he will have to learn again from scratch, or worse spend a lot of time "UNLEARNING" cos he would have cultivated a lot of bad habit. On the other hand, the method I am teaching will actually allow the student to build on it. I myself learn to read/write enough to write letters, emails, sms and chat within 6 months from the day I started mission to read/write thai.

Sorry if my words seem offensive to you, but I am speaking hard facts that are backed by any Good and Well-known Thai Language Books authors.I would be more than happy and open to sharing with u and I am sure with the amount of time u have had speaking Thai, your vocabulary is probably far ahead of mine and therefore I can learn from u too. Take care na ja

ขอโทษจริงๆนะครับ ถ้าทำให้คุณโกรธ ขอ ยกโทษนะครับ

But, I know your purpose is to make money. So, maybe I broken your opportunity???

Want can be written as aw, ow! , just like teacher can be written as khruu, kroo (mid-tone)..The fomer is the actual photenic system which is closer from singapore english to thai...If you write as ao, some ppl might pronounce as different-tone. Thus, different meaning.

Also, thai language had NO GRAMMER! NO TENSES!

When a english speaking ppl like sinagporean want to learn Thai, it is best to use the former way. Otherwise, they had to learn the thai vowels & consonants which prononce differently, despite written same.

If you learn from dictonary, you must be aware of the dictonary or book origin. These are meant for which nationality, cause the written is writing for that in mind.

I dun learn to write as this had not much use and my written is not as good as you, same as english. BUT thai can understand my speaking which is clear and vice versa.

I think thais may had difficult to understand your speech. But, written they can understand.

guru899
02-09-2005, 02:45 AM
ขอโทษจริงๆนะครับ ถ้าทำให้คุณโกรธ ขอ ยกโทษนะครับ[/QUOTE]

Anyway, I learn thais from my living experience & to bang gals only.

free
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
But, I know your purpose is to make money. So, maybe I broken your opportunity???I am sorry to burst your bubble. Perhaps you may have not been very observant in your learning of the Thai Language. If u think u are exposing me, haha, u have only succeeded in showing that you have not made use of your 7 years well. It is really not the length of time that matters, but what one does during a particular length of time. A guy who has been working for 10 years could be just repeating his 1st year of working life's experience for the next 9 years

I do not deny that I am earning some pocket money. I have after all, put in my due effort and time and my results shows. I am also doing this partly cos I have been receiving a fair number of requests to teach the language to brothers. Of course u won't need to learn for u already have been speaking for > 7 years right? Well during my time, I had 4 months to go from zero to conversation and how I wish I had someone who understoods my problem then and can tailor the class to suit my needs. There were none that I could find to teach me what I want to know.
Want can be written as aw, ow! , just like teacher can be written as khruu, kroo (mid-tone)..The fomer is the actual photenic system which is closer from singapore english to thai...If you write as ao, some ppl might pronounce as different-tone. Thus, different meaning.

Also, thai language had NO GRAMMER! NO TENSES! By the way I am not even talking about the way the romanized thai is being spelled. I spelt it as "AO" cos it is consistent with what I teach but that is not my focus. I am specifically saying that the way you used "AO" (or AW if u like) is WRONG, period. U have made the common mistake of using it in that way cos u know what AO means but u do not know how it should be used within a Thai sentence. Wanna get more technical?

Thai language has no grammar? Haha, tell that to the Thai linguist specialist. It is just that their grammar is not seen/practised in the same way as we do in English. Sentence structure is different in Thai than in English and what u did was to translate English words (word for word) into Thai words and used them to construct an English Sentences using thai words. That is wrong.

When a english speaking ppl like sinagporean want to learn Thai, it is best to use the former way. Otherwise, they had to learn the thai vowels & consonants which prononce differently, despite written same.

If you learn from dictionary, you must be aware of the dictonary or book origin. These are meant for which nationality, cause the written is writing for that in mind.Sorry, this is the OLD School of Thought. Times have changed, teaching methods have improved, but u had not realised that. Today's modern Romanized Thai takes Vowel lengths and tones into consideration. Your way may be been the "best" many years ago, but it is OBSOLETE now. Anyway romanized thai by itself is useless in thailand. The reason why I chose a particular form of romanized thai is that it IS A STEPPING stone for me to learn the actual thai words. The method u used would have to be thrown away (or worst -unlearned) if one goes on to higher grounds.
I dun learn to write as this had not much use and my written is not as good as you, same as english. BUT thai can understand my speaking which is clear and vice versa.
I think thais may had difficult to understand your speech. But, written they can understand.Not much use? That is not for you to say. U can only speak for yourself. Those who want to learn with me obviously are looking for something more and probably not just chat a few words with the thai pooyings they bonked.

Without learning or mimicking the vowels (including the lengths) and tones (not so much consonants) the way they are sounded in the Thai Language, one can never learn to speak thai properly or it will take years (and still get it wrong). Why learn thai in a half baked (even wrong) manner, when with just a little more effort (I think it is the same effort) one can get it right - to almost perfection? Why settle for mediocrity when the real thingy is within our grasp and easily too?

By the way, I teach thai in such a way that moving on to Actual Thai Words (we call it scripts) is a natural progression. When u can start to read the actual thai words, u will be surprised how much faster your spoken thai will improve, cos all the rules (tones, vowel lengths, and what not) are built into the thai words. The romanized thai I teach is but a way to get there quickly, but not hold us back when it is time to move on. With you method, u will be stuck forever unless u throw it away. The alternative is to go thru what a Thai kid goes thru in school :eek:

If what I wrote is offensive, I apologise. But I have to make the facts clear. No point going for the thai classes we see all over the shop using methods u just expounded. If they are any good, they will lot more people speaking good thai today. And read & write as well.

Bros can see for themselves if it is worth their while to attend my classes. I dun force them nor do I con them. I am already teaching students from government officers who had to deal with thai workers, to senior management staff who are going to be posted to thailand for a few years/

suteerak1O99
02-09-2005, 06:58 PM
professor free,

have you paid sammyboy advertisement fees yet?

free
02-09-2005, 07:22 PM
ขอโทษจริงๆนะครับ ถ้าทำให้คุณโกรธ ขอ ยกโทษนะครับAnyway, I learn thais from my living experience & to bang gals only.What has your reply got to do with what I wrote in thai? I said if I am really sorry if I had made u angry and do please forgive me. :)

free
02-09-2005, 07:58 PM

If you learn from dictonary, you must be aware of the dictonary or book origin. These are meant for which nationality, cause the written is writing for that in mind.Gosh, I can't believe I am still responding to this post, but u have made so many fundamental FACTUAL mistakes in this post that I just had to.

What u said above is actually the opposite from the truth. The obsoleted Romanized Thai method that u had presented is the one with the "multiple ways to pronounce the same word" problem, cos it does NOT take into account tones nor vowels lengths, not to mention other indications like silent sounds, etc. For the Thai words, there is only one way to pronounce the word (unless you dun know how to read it). Within the Thai words, are encapsulated:

all the tone marks (for the 5 tones - mid, low, falling, high & rising )
the class of the consonants (high, mid or low tones)
the length of the vowels (long or short vowels
other tone marks like the garan อ์ which is silent
vowels which modify their forms depending on their position in the word
All the tone rules
The method of romanized thai that I am teaching is able to handle all the above points, in that the romanized thai word would read with the correct sound.

There is only ONE way of pronouncing a Thai word and any modification is only because these mods are colloqial in nature or have been accepted over the years like dropping the "r" in ครับ "krap" to become "kap" and yet both are exactly the same word with 2 ways to speak it. But u will never hear the newsreader saying "kap"; always "krap".

As for dictionaries, the thai words stays the same in EVERY dictionary! But for those Thai-English dictionaries meant for foreigners again the many (& some obsoleted) methods of transliteration used certainly guarantee that the foreigner will possibly pronounce the word wrongly, whereas with the method I teach, there is only one way to pronounce the romanized thai word - EXACTLY the same way a thai person (and myself as well) would have read the thai word. :D

Next time, before u post something like this again, do think if you could be misleading a whole bunch of people who dun know better if nobady had spoken up.

guru899
03-09-2005, 02:46 AM
I am sorry to make you so upset such that you had to defend urs ....... LOL.....Maybe, I am self-taught so I ignore those rules that you had mentioned. But, do you really understand thai songs, thai movie, thai news, ....

Since you are teaching your own UNIQUE way,.....go get it patent quick!........

I interested to see how good your spoken thai is, so tell me your technical........

As you claimed there is grammer, what is the thai word for teaching, taught, teached, ....dun use more than one word cause this is grammer.

I see that your new modern way of learning will make you a wonderful & rich man soon. I hope to see your face in the paper.

Nothing is OBSOLETE if you know how to use.

This is a bonking website, I think you should bring your business elsewhere.

You teach PM thai whom just spoke with Taksin! :eek:

guru899
03-09-2005, 03:35 AM
What has your reply got to do with what I wrote in thai? I said if I am really sorry if I had made u angry and do please forgive me. :)

I not angry.

You should go get it patented, quick...... :)

guru899
03-09-2005, 03:42 AM
I dun think many ppl are interested to learn to write. Most will keep to speak & understand for business or lesiure. Your course will really make your students pay a lot more than needed......pap.........

Birdchai
03-09-2005, 12:33 PM
even more essays........ :rolleyes:

Hi,

While searching around, came across this forum.

May I know how much you charge? How many lesson before can speak? How many lesson before can write?

Do you had a place to conduct the classes?

Any form of assurance, cos I am slow learner.

Cheers,

suteerak1O99
03-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I not angry.

You should go get it patented, quick...... :)

how is he going to get it patented when he don't even have money to pay advertisement fees to Sammyboy? :(

free
04-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi,

While searching around, came across this forum.

May I know how much you charge? How many lesson before can speak? How many lesson before can write?

Do you had a place to conduct the classes?

Any form of assurance, cos I am slow learner.

Cheers,
There are 2 ways I teach a class. Currently all my students are one-to-one private coaching (cos they learn for business). I am considering a group class to bring down the cost learning for those who dun mind learning in a group environment. Check your PM for more details.

If u are learning with the objective to read/write, the Conversational Beginners course is taught a little differently with some differences in materials too. The reason is that when u start to read/write, it actually accelerates your learning to speak as u would be paying even more attention to pronouncing the thai words accurately, and at the same time, with the transaliterations with the thai words as a double confirmation.

Most people learn to speak pretty OK, in about 16-20 lessons. How much practice u put in yrself will determine how fast u can learn. To be able to read/write takes another few months, but really it depends on how much effort u put in. As for being slow, I will be supplying notes and audio clips that u can listen and practise in your own time in between the classes.

Depending on ur type of class, I teach either in yr home or a classroom. The writing course will need access to Internet and parts of the course may be held in an internet cafe for the group class, if students progress to that stage (depending on their objectives).

free
04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
But, do you really understand thai songs, thai movie, thai news, ....For ur info, I have translated some of the songs in ethaimusic.com, and am writing some thai songs at this moment. I literally only watch thai movies these days (on the big screen) if I am in LOS, since both my gal and I enjoy it more. I dun even watch English or other language movies here anymore, except on TV.

And listen only to thai songs, cos I enjoy them more than other language songs. If the thai VCDs that I watch have no english sub-titles, no matter cos I dun even depend on them. Anyway, I am so comfortable with the language now that when I speak to myself, I do it in thai and when I go to the thai temple even in SG, I pray in thai too. Speaking thai is a daily thing for me now and I think I speak or think in thai at least 30% of my waking hours. My thai is better than my spoken Mandarin and written Chinese now :eek:. Not much chance to use my Chinese, esp writing anymore. No regrets, though.

As for Thai news, I learn more thai language from the thai news I listen to daily than talking to WLs (which I hardly do these days). And my tirak is not even my teacher, really, even we talked everyday in 100% thai. So is that good enough for? Most of my real teachers these days are the Thai friends (mostly pooyings, 555) I do internet chatting with in Thai on an almost daily basis.

So enuf? I hope so yah?

free
04-09-2005, 05:44 PM
professor free,

have you paid sammyboy advertisement fees yet?So u are back after being in hibernation? U have a problem? Dun worry, I won;t ban u from the class if u want to learn, Everybody who is genuinely interest is welcome. And SBF bros get a big discount off my standard rates I charged businessmen too!

free
04-09-2005, 10:44 PM
I dun think many ppl are interested to learn to write. Most will keep to speak & understand for business or lesiure. Your course will really make your students pay a lot more than needed......pap.........
U may not want to learn yourself (which is perfectly OK!), but what makes u think others are not interested? Rather presumptous of u, isn't it? I really did get a fair number of request to teach writing too. U think ppl want to learn just to bonk? Really, if only for bonking, not need to learn Thai at all. There is much much more benefits, my friend.

In fact my problem now is how not to disappoint the good number of bros who are keen to learn if I have to turn several away, as I dun want the class to be too big in order for it to be effective, plus there's a limit on space in the classroom too. Perhaps I may even need to hold 2 separate classes, but wondering where to find the time...

yeah, maybe 1 class for those only keen on pure conversations and the other for those who intend to go on to read/write emails, sms, and chat in Thai Good idea as the teaching focus is a little different. For those interested in reading/writing, please visit my collection of SMSes from Our Hearts (http://209.95.110.196/smscollections/) to get an idea of what u could be sms'ing in a few months, assuming of course u sms to your tirak :D

guru899
05-09-2005, 12:52 AM
[QUOTE=free]U may not want to learn yourself (which is perfectly OK!), but what makes u think others are not interested? Rather presumptous of u, isn't it? I really did get a fair number of request to teach writing too. U think ppl want to learn just to bonk? Really, if only for bonking, not need to learn Thai at all. There is much much more benefits, my friend.

If want to had a fun bonking, need to speak thai.

If want to hook gals in disco, pubs, .... for free bonk, need to speak & understand thai. I did many times already! There is a Thai saying (if not wrong), why pay for mother milk when can get calf milk for free!

free
05-09-2005, 03:12 PM
For bros who are keen to learn thai seriously, please refer this webpage for more details:

Learning Thai Language - Novice to Practical Usage (http://209.95.110.196/learningthai/LearningThaiLanguage-Novice2PracticalUsage.html)

See also main page here (http://209.95.110.196/learningthai/)

free
05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
This guy free is a thai you knowI dun pretend be a Thai. I respect the thais but I am enjoying myself as a คนต่างชาติ (kon dtàang châat) who is able to be reasonably fluent in thai (not what I say, but what my Thai friends tell me). When u are in BKK, can u trust the Taxi drivers? U know what, I can - none has ever cheated me, and they even trust me enough wait for me while I hop out to ran a quick errand (and I could have just run away without paying). Sometimes, after trusting me so many times in a single hire fare, I treat to a good but cheap meal. Then I get to learn a bit of Pasaa E-sarn or Neur even.

lIf I am not wrong, we have even met at a TCSS session some time ago. U have nothing better to do or what? If you dun want to learn thai yourself, that is fine. Why stop others who are interested? I have benefited from learning this beautiful and yet simple language, and I want to share it with others. Yes I make some money, but hey, I put in the hard work and make sure my students benefit. U think teaching a language class is as simple as just standing up and speaking some nonsense? I had spend countless hours preparing my teaching materials (and refining them), and backing me up are a whole bunch of my thai buddies who I can call up and ask if I have any doubts. Yes, I am still learning and I will continue to learn. Who knows, maybe one day some of my students learning to read/write would be chatting up and wooing some of them one day. Some of them are graduates, decent, beautiful and available! 555 The live chat sessions I had planned for my writing class students will involve chatting with some of them.

AF (once upon a PH?), U have only succeeded in showing other people that u have a very small and even jealous mind, perhaps one that has stopped learning :eek: . I am sure u have some skills or hobbies that are valuable enough such that if u put in the effort, u can see some rewards too, Why not go and do that?

Here I thank MrDevil and TV for waking me up. Instead of wasting my time posting into so many threads that I may not agree with, like u do now, I re-focus my energies on putting the little talents I have to good use.

U should do that too. Do go and get a life. :cool:

free
05-09-2005, 09:18 PM
I dun think many ppl are interested to learn to write. Most will keep to speak & understand for business or lesiure. Your course will really make your students pay a lot more than needed......pap.........Just in case u don't realise and u never asked, I have broken the course into 2 distinctive parts

Conversational Thai for Beginners
Practical Reading & Writing the Thai Language for Foreigners

For my private coaching students who wanted to learn to speak/read/write, the course is actually shorter combined than when splitted up cos there are no inevitable overlaps. So what u had assumed was wrong.

free
05-09-2005, 09:39 PM
I interested to see how good your spoken thai is, so tell me your technical........

As you claimed there is grammer, what is the thai word for teaching, taught, teached, ....dun use more than one word cause this is grammer.

I see that your new modern way of learning will make you a wonderful & rich man soon. I hope to see your face in the paper.No hard feelings bro. U have your views about how much one should learn and how to do it and I have mine. No problems at all.

But just in case u dun know, I think u have mixed up tenses and grammar. Thai language has no concept of Tenses (ie, past, present, future, past perfect, etc), but it does have grammar and sentence structure. For example, most of us who learn thai in a casual manner will do this:

For "timing is not correct", we will say "เวลาไม่ถูก (wee-laa mâi tùuk)" which translates word for word as "time not correct". Every word is correct, but the sentence is wrong cos the words are in the wrong place. The correct version is "ไม่ถูกเวลา (mâi tùuk wee-laa)" which mapped into "not correct time". This is a common mistake. The Thais are too nice to correct us, but they could be laughing at us on the inside. It was a very honest gal (Dancer's best friend), who had bothered to correct me, and she had burst out laughing when she heard me saying it wrong. Perhaps she did it cos we are close to each other and we had even considered dating after Dancer and I broke up, but it was not nice thing for a decent TG to date her best friend's ex-bf, even though technically we knew we had the right to do so.

Similarly so often times, we "gave her a chance" and we say "ให้เขาโอกาส (hâi kăo oo-gàat)" [give her chance] when the correct version should be "ให้โอกาสเขา (hâi oo-gàat kăo)" [give chance her].

So ione can see that the good Thai sentence structure makes for very terrible English sentence structure.

free
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Bros who have pm'ed me regarding Learning Thai Language the Proper way, and have not given me your email address, please kindly do so. I am in the final stages of finalising the group class details with regards to cost and venue. Learning materials will be supplied during the class.

Unless I turn some brothers away, I may have to conduct 2 classes, one on late Saturday morning and another in the afternoon. Or even Saturday afternoon and evening.

Perhaps all who have expressed interest and those who would like to do so, please pm me your preference for timing (morning, afternoon and evening) on Saturdays and I will do my best to accomodate as many as possible.

Thanks for your wonderful support and words of encouragement so far. I will do my very best to share what I know. :)

What I can say now that is that I will keep the course fees very reasonable withouht sacrificing quality, so each class will have to be small. I am not interested in mass production. :D

free
05-09-2005, 10:51 PM
:eek: repeat post of above, Sorry boss. Must have clicked twice cos system response was very slow..

cerebusjr
06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
good post....upzzzzzz

korb
09-09-2005, 12:15 AM
sawatdee krup p free, you have finally become a thai guru laew. khor sadaeng kwarm yindii. :p .i would surely want to learn from you.but sometime due to the enviroment no chance to put into good use(beside talking to my yokrak) most of the time learn already then forget.i think most important is what you learn my put into practise .if not just like me,can only speak halfpass6 pasahthai nor. :o

WhiteHawk
09-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Just a thought ... ( sorry to hijack your thread )

If a few brothers care to learn Thai together (more like conversation only) I propose that we have a weekly meet up and get someone like Free to teach us. More informal and with a group we can speak to each other and speed up the learning process. I am sure most of the brothers here would be happy to just communicate with thai and dont have to go the the extend of reading and writting.

If Bro Free is willing, maybe he can organize a class on a evening and try the turnout first.

What do you guys thinks?

free
09-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Just a thought ... ( sorry to hijack your thread )

If a few brothers care to learn Thai together (more like conversation only) I propose that we have a weekly meet up and get someone like Free to teach us. More informal and with a group we can speak to each other and speed up the learning process. I am sure most of the brothers here would be happy to just communicate with thai and dont have to go the the extend of reading and writting.

If Bro Free is willing, maybe he can organize a class on a evening and try the turnout first.

What do you guys thinks?I am open to this idea cos quite a number of bros have asked for it. That was why I finally broke up my course syllabus into 2 parts - Conversational Thai for the Beginner and Practical Reading and Writing. The 1st course is also for those who want to correct their bad habits even though they can speak thai now, cos we are going back to the basics to develop a good foundation. Unfortunately there will be a bit of overlap between the 2 course.

On other hand, all the one-to-one private coaching students will cover both parts in less lessons cos the overlaps are eliminated.

I really look forward to be able to speak to each other as a group and on all sorts of topics that concerns us, instead of just on the pooying topic.

I made some enquiries and I now have access to a suitable Classroom for teaching in Textile center on weekdays (but I am occupied some nights by the private students) and on Saturdays.

TheUnforgiven
12-09-2005, 07:43 PM
free,

either you are so serious about wanting everyone to learn thai you overlooked all your bragging, or you just want to boast to everyone how great your thai has become. Almost every post I have read from you here is choked full of egoistic goodness. Please tone it down or even more people will get irritated with you.

TheUnforgiven

free
13-09-2005, 10:00 AM
free,

either you are so serious about wanting everyone to learn thai you overlooked all your bragging, or you just want to boast to everyone how great your thai has become. Almost every post I have read from you here is choked full of egoistic goodness. Please tone it down or even more people will get irritated with you.

TheUnforgivenThanks, Guess I should watch my words more mindfully. I am a passionate person and when I am passionate about something, I go all the way to make it work. But I do not hit at people not put them down out of selfishness, as some people here do. I am sure u can read that for yourself. Really I write things here out of a heart that wants to share, esspecially since I myself have benefitted greatly from it (goes way beyond economic terms). I do get pm's and emails from bros who appreciate my sharing, for they too want to learn thai more effectively. Some even "collect" my signatures (in Thai, transliteration & English translation) and that really touched me. But these signatures are nothing more than the sms'es my tirak sent me! Over time, I naturally had a small collection.

It was my success with teaching non-SB enthusiasts (I am affliated to a Language school here) that made me realise that perhaps I can share what I have learned and gained over these couple of years (linguistically mostly), with bros here who had the same desire to learn this language as I had in Aug 2003. I had to struggle alone as I could not find a school that can meet my needs, and I thought there is no need for others to have to struggle thru the same windy and hard road I had to take. Not surprisingly the response I got from SB bros was good -better than I had dared expect.

Unfortunately there are also those here who want to think that everything I posted tantamount to boasting? Why? If they think they dun need nor want to learn, that is fine too, cos it is up to them. But why should they prevent others from learning (or learning from me, rather?). Warn about the disadvantages of learning from a guy like me, if they want, and let the ppl decide for themselves. Why say all sorts of things that are rather mean (even lies) just for the sake of some private fun? What is your stand regarding such people? Do u agree with what they do?

Reality is that those who have written to me are not learning for cheonging purposes. What they want is build up better commnication capabilities with the people they either love, or work with or both. Or even just cos they like the language. All very good reasons to learn - just like many ppl learning Japanese (I did that myself), German, French, etc. Why even the thais and angmos are learing Chinese.

free
14-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Bros who have pm'ed or email me of your interest to join the group class should have received an email I sent out last night. Please respond to the email.

We need to fix the day & time-slot on which to hold the class each week. I need to confirm the booking of the classroom (of the Language School I am affliated to) as there are other people interest in using the room too.

By the way take note that from indications, I should be conducting the read/writing course after this Conversational Thai for Beginners, so the next Conversational Thai class may well be 4 months or more from now. So please respond early. Almost full house now.

Al Capone
23-09-2005, 11:01 AM
I am open to this idea cos quite a number of bros have asked for it. That was why I finally broke up my course syllabus into 2 parts - Conversational Thai for the Beginner and Practical Reading and Writing. The 1st course is also for those who want to correct their bad habits even though they can speak thai now, cos we are going back to the basics to develop a good foundation. Unfortunately there will be a bit of overlap between the 2 course.

On other hand, all the one-to-one private coaching students will cover both parts in less lessons cos the overlaps are eliminated.

I really look forward to be able to speak to each other as a group and on all sorts of topics that concerns us, instead of just on the pooying topic.

Did ST1099 or RP join? they chose the Beginner or Practical?
Or Maybe they dont need already cause they already are GURU.

free
24-09-2005, 07:55 PM
Did ST1099 or RP join? they chose the Beginner or Practical?
Or Maybe they dont need already cause they already are GURU.Dun know leh. Never ask them and they oso neber ask me. Not need lah, they geng maak liao.

U wanna join or not? maybe got a lot left for u leh. Or are u already a GURU?

free
01-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Bros who pm'ed me about learning thai as a group, please check yr pm. For those who are interested and have not contacted me, please pm me asap.

This class will focus on conversational thai, especially on correct pronunciation & speech and I will share tips & tricks to help u progress faster.

No previous knowledge is neccesary but please be prepared to do more homework (practice at home). We will also study common errors in sentence construction. A good method of transliteration (romanized thai) will be taught such that it will help u speak properly/accurately {ALL the thai phonetics can be successfully mimicked with this method} and also form the foundation for the next stage when u start to learn the actual thai alphabets and read/write thai.

free
12-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Conversation Thai Language Class for Beginners
(also suitable for those who can speak some thai but wish to improve their pronunciation and sentence structure)

Class starting soon. Bros who have contacted me for the class, please check your email/pm for details. Places are really very limited (8-10 max) so please confirm with me early (Friday,14 Oct latest). Those who miss out may have to wait for 4 months for the next class.

If you have NOT RECEIVED a pm or email from me to confirm your attendance, you are NOT Enrolled yet!!! Please contact me asap and confirm your attendance

Jun|ch|
12-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Class starting soon. Bros who have contacted me for the class, please check your email/pm for details. Places are really very limited (8-10 max) so please confirm with me early (Friday,14 Oct latest). Those who miss out may have to wait for 4 months for the next class.

too bad i am in bkk now,if not i sure will attend,hehe...

free
12-10-2005, 10:22 PM
too bad i am in bkk now,if not i sure will attend,hehe...No worries. Contact me when u are back (unless its a long time from now :o ) and we will see what can be done. Maybe a couple of makeup classes and u can plug in to the rest of the group. After all its only once a week and u may not miss much.

And there are probably things we can learn from each other. I am always learning. :)

Jun|ch|
12-10-2005, 10:31 PM
No worries. Contact me when u are back (unless its a long time from now :o ) and we will see what can be done. Maybe a couple of makeup classes and u can plug in to the rest of the group. After all its only once a week and u may not miss much.

And there are probably things we can learn from each other. I am always learning. :)

At least u speak like a human...hehee...i am impressed with ur knowledge of thai language and stuff.At least u say "probably things we can learn from each other".Unlike some hor,think he is 80yr old and spent 60yrs of his time in thailand and Mr knows it all.

free
15-10-2005, 12:36 PM
For me, I still use Riak Waa Arai if I do not understand something. Books not for me.
SCเรียก ว่า อะไร (rîak wâa à-rai) simply means "what is this called (in thai)?". It has nothing to do with the word "understand".

If u are asking what is the meaning of something, there are several words to use.

แปล ว่า (bplɛɛ wâa) is more commonly used as "translate into? (for a different language, eg, Thai to English)

If u want ask for the meaning (implication) of a word, better to use ถอดความหมาย (bplɛɛ kwaam măai) where ความหมาย (kwaam măai) indicates "meaning", as in "What is the meaning of this?" I am sure u know how to form your own sentences corectly from these words, so I dun need to write too much here.

My friend, books are the windows to the world. Wisdom gained by others thru years of learning are contained therein. Even my tirak who once ran out of the bookshop in double-quick time, when I brought her to the section in the bookshop which contains self-improvement books (wanted to buy her 7 Habits in thai), now goes back to pick up these kind of books and also reference books for her vocational college she is starting soon (part-time basis). U who art in SG ought to know better ??

BTW, just a example of colloqial thai versus formal thai - the word ]อะไร (à-rai) By right, according to the Tone Rules for the Thai Language, because ะ follows the อ, the word อะ should be pronounced as a low tone "à" but colloqial thai pronounce it as "a" instead (common habit). So à-rai is actually pronounced as "a-rai". Modern Thai teaching now teaches people to say "a-rai" and not "a-lai" - something u can still hear some thais saying. If u ask them, they will agree with you that "a-rai" is correct, even if they may say "a-lai" themselves.

Hey, another few fun words you should know, if u don't already, since you are into sex much of the time. Sometimes I used them in Thai chats to tease the gers I talked to also;), but mostly reserved for my beloved. Sure lifts your sexssion to a higher level, if u use creativity to compose nice sentences

Some Nice, Gentle and Sensual Words for use Before, During and After... :D
ฝันเฟื่อง (făn-fêuang) = daydream or fantasize
หัว ใจเต้น เร็วๆ จัง (hŭa jai dtə̂n rəw-rəw jang) = my heart is beating really fast
ทรมาน จัง เลย (tɔɔ-rá-maan jang ləəi) = it's really very torturous
กระตุ้น (grà-dtûn) = arouse
ครวญ คราง คังๆ (kruan kraang dàang dàang) = moan loudly

If anyone needs help to put them into proper thai sentences let me know, 555

Yomun aka Vin
16-10-2005, 12:03 PM
At least u speak like a human...hehee...i am impressed with ur knowledge of thai language and stuff.At least u say "probably things we can learn from each other".Unlike some hor,think he is 80yr old and spent 60yrs of his time in thailand and Mr knows it all.

Professor free is so long winded, make sure you dont fall asleep in his class na. ;)

siamcutey
16-10-2005, 12:42 PM
เรียก ว่า อะไร (rîak wâa à-rai) simply means "what is this called (in thai)?". It has nothing to do with the word "understand".

Hey, another few fun words you should know, if u don't already, since you are into sex much of the time. Sometimes I used them in Thai chats to tease the gers I talked to also;), but mostly reserved for my beloved. Sure lifts your sexssion to a higher level, if u use creativity to compose nice sentences

Some Nice, Gentle and Sensual Words for use Before, During and After...
หัว ใจเต้น เร็วๆ จัง (hŭa jai dtə̂n rəw-rəw jang) = my heart is beating really fast

If anyone needs help to put them into proper thai sentences let me know, 555

My THAI NATIVE TEACHER in TELELINGUA teach me this till today I still remember.
She tell us students on Day 1, if you don't understand anything or don't know anything, just ask "Nii Riak Waa Arai." Any word u want translate, Nii Phassa Thai Pleah Waa Arai

Your humour is learned from the books, my humour is learned from the bed. Same like your thai learned from books, I learned a lot from streetsides. So the ones I used, can relate to the thais on the streets. The thai you used are more for formal conversations with every sentence ending with krup.

Certain things can say, certain things cannot say, if not the students can say in return, for sexual harassment.
What is SEXUAL HARASSMENT IN THAI? SEXUAL HARASSMENT Phassa Thai Pleah Waa Arai?

I ever learned thai from Kampong Glam CC and after 3 lessons I quit, cos the instructor Mr Koh, is not a native speaker though he say he has 20 over years of experience. Can say, can read, can write doesn't mean can teach well.
After that, I went over to Telelingua, paid more at least 5 times more, I get better training from a NATIVE THAI TEACHER, and most importantly, the school is APPROVED BY The THAI EMBASSY.

:cool:
SC

Jun|ch|
16-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Professor free is so long winded, make sure you dont fall asleep in his class na. ;)

Izzit??I do not know since I have not seen him in person...hehee...pay $$ sure must pay attention,if not stay at home better?? :p

Bangkok Master
17-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Some Nice, Gentle and Sensual Words for use Before, During and After... :D

Sorry Thai Professor, I think some of the words are not suitable for usage during SEX as for example your "Tor Ra Man" in dictionary it may meant torturous but the thais doesn't use the word like the meaning, it translates as terrible. So if you say "Tor Ra Man" to them it means it's TERRIBLE while having sex with them............what a letdown!:D

I understand u learn your thai through books which I'm impressed that you had gone so far but in real life the thais dun use the words like "Fan Feuang". Only thai songs will use the words like these.

free
18-10-2005, 01:21 AM
My THAI NATIVE TEACHER in TELELINGUA teach me this till today I still remember.
She tell us students on Day 1, if you don't understand anything or don't know anything, just ask "Nii Riak Waa Arai." I am sure your thai teacher knows what he/she was to do - to make things easier for you. Think about it - if u ask a Thai person "Nii Riak Waa Arai" which exactly means "what is this called?", of course that person is going to tell u its name in Thai. He/she is not going to go and explain to you the meaning of the thai name of whatever u are refering to.

U know what? What u have done is exactly what a lot of us are trained to do in our education system - Learning by Route (读死书). U heard what your teacher said, but u did not truly understand and as a result, u have perhaps learnt the wrong thing and never knew. Either the teacher has not made it clear to you, or u failed to ask or u just assumed wrongly, only u know. If only u had found out that the word "เรียก rîak" means "call", it would have help u a lot to understand what your teacher was trying to tell u. Did u asked? I would have if I was the student.
Any word u want translate, Nii Phassa Thai Pleah Waa Araiนี้ ภาษา ไทย แปลว่า อะไร níi paa-săa tai bplɛɛ wâa à-rai. This is absolutely correct if u want to ask what is thai equivalent of something u are refering to. (I would thought u would probably be asking "níi paa-săa ang-grìt bplɛɛ wâa à-rai" (what does this translate to in English?). The sentence u mentioned would be more likely to be asked by thai, wouldn't it? anyway, u can see what I mean.
Your humour is learned from the books, my humour is learned from the bed. Same like your thai learned from books, I learned a lot from streetsides. So the ones I used, can relate to the thais on the streets. The thai you used are more for formal conversations with every sentence ending with krup.You really got this idea stuck in your head don't you? U are kind of wrong, u know? What I learnt from the books were really how to pronounce thai words with correct diction, taking into account the rules that apply to Thai consonants, vowels, tones, etc. As for speaking with correct sentences and so on, well I learn that by...speaking/conversing with thais. I still get my sentences wrong sometimes, but because I used the right pronunciation, my friends (usually not even my tirak) are are able to help correct me, cos they know I want to learn. Else they would be too nice (as most thais are) to tell me I was wrong.

I ever learned thai from Kampong Glam CC and after 3 lessons I quit, cos the instructor Mr Koh, is not a native speaker though he say he has 20 over years of experience. Can say, can read, can write doesn't mean can teach well.
After that, I went over to Telelingua, paid more at least 5 times more, I get better training from a NATIVE THAI TEACHER, and most importantly, the school is APPROVED BY The THAI EMBASSY. The issue here is what kind of a teacher is Mr Koh? Not whether he is native or not. Please, we are talking about learning conversational Thai at a beginners to intermediate level, not learning the thai language at an advanced academic level. And we are talking about teaching thai to english speaking foreigners, typically ising transliterations (romanized thai). The method of transliteration here is key to the whole learning process. And I boldly declare that the method you are using now does NOT make for learning to speak thai well (I am not saying you cannot hold long meaningful conversations in thai, cos nby now, u should have enough basics and sufficient vocab for topics u are familiar with). I am saying that chances are that your diction/pronunciation is not very good (based on what I read from your post, since we have not met in person), unless u had really paid attention to the details. If u had, you have to be really good cos u did not have the correct tools to help you and yet u can do it. Most people would not be able to do, or it will take them many years! Cos it is hard when one starts off on the wrong footing and with the wrong tools.

If anything the method of transliteration you used is obsolete. Perhaps u need to go back to your native thai teacher at Telelingua for a refresher to learn a more modern method. And if they are still using what u are using, then I say forget aboutn them (or rather that particular teacher who has sat on her laurels for the past donkey years and not bother to upgrade herself).

My own (virtual) teacher is a thai professor teaching the language in a USA university. And she is the Pioneer of the best method of transliteration I have ever come across, cos it can mimick the thai phonetics 100%. Her virtual students (from Chinese to Japaneses to Angmohs) live in many countries (from Thailand to USA to Germany to Singapore). Almost all of us are serious about learning the language properly and we put in the effort to learn. Those I have spoken to (via voice) speak thai pretty accurately (even for an Angmoh). That if anything, is a proof that my teacher's method works, and works well too, cos its success cuts across people of different countries and speak different native languages.

Its up to people whether they want to accept a good thing that works or they prefer to cling on to what they had learnt in the past, even though it is proven not to work well. Your choice, my friend. All I am saying to you is that there is a better way. Do u want to embrace it?

Yomun aka Vin
18-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Izzit??I do not know since I have not seen him in person...hehee...pay $$ sure must pay attention,if not stay at home better?? :p

Huh, you rather pay some old fart and hear him talk cock? :confused:
Remember professor free is very long winded. You ask one question about a thai word, maybe he will tell you the history of thai language.

oh, he might tell you his tirak stories too.

Yomun aka Vin
18-10-2005, 01:46 AM
U know what? What u have done is exactly what a lot of us are trained to do in our education system - Learning by Route (读死书).

professor free, it's learning by rote, mai chai Route.

free
18-10-2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry Thai Professor, I think some of the words are not suitable for usage during SEX as for example your "Tor Ra Man" in dictionary it may meant torturous but the thais doesn't use the word like the meaning, it translates as terrible. So if you say "Tor Ra Man" to them it means it's TERRIBLE while having sex with them............what a letdown!

I understand u learn your thai through books which I'm impressed that you had gone so far but in real life the thais dun use the words like "Fan Feuang". Only thai songs will use the words like these.555, I am sorry I did not give an example for ทรมาน (tɔɔ-rá-maan )

You are right - NEVER use it when having sex with whoever u are doing it with. That would be real disastrous!!:eek:

I would normally use tɔɔ-rá-maan in the following way:

Lets say you and your tirak have not been able to see each other for sometime and you both yearn to be with each other, and do what comes naturally. And you tell each other that you want to do it together, but cannot yet cps still not time to meet..So u tell each other "both of us still must endure, but it is really torturous".

เรา สอง คน ต้อง อด ทน แต่ ก็ ทรมาน จัง
rao sɔ̆ɔng kon dtɔ̂ɔng òt ton dtɛ̀ɛ gɔ̂ɔ tɔɔ-rá-maan jang

Hope the above clarifies things for you. BTW, these word I dun learn from dictionaries. It was that SYT (the one u saw on webcam) who taught me this word :p Same goes for the word "Fan Feuang" as well. What the dictionary did for me is to allow me to go check cos I was too shy to ask her what she means, 555. Naturally my tirak and I used it with each other and oftern too, cos the distance apart does cause excruciating pain. End of the day it is the daily vocab one knows that determine the speech one uses with another.

free
18-10-2005, 02:04 AM
professor free, it's learning by rote, mai chai Route. Thank you so much. Sorry my English spelling is wrong. So shy:o
ขอบ คุณ มาก นะ ครับ ขอ โทษ ที่ การ สะ กด คำ ภา ษา อังกฤษ ไม่ ถูก อาย มาก เลย
kɔ̀ɔp kun mâak ná kráp kɔ̆ɔ tôot tîi gaan sà-gòt kam paa-săa ang-grìt mâi tùuk aai mâak ləəi

And please, I never claim to be professor or that I know it all.
I only a Learner who is willing to share what I know with ppl who are keen to learn.
If u already know, cool. Hope u can share that all of us may learn too.
For those who think they know & dun need to learn anymore, well... good for u...

Yomun aka Vin
18-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Thank you so much. Sorry my English spelling is wrong. So shy:o
ขอบ คุณ มาก นะ ครับ ขอ โทษ ที่ การ สะ กด คำ ภา ษา อังกฤษ ไม่ ถูก อาย มาก เลย
kɔ̀ɔp kun mâak ná kráp kɔ̆ɔ tôot tîi gaan sà-gòt kam paa-săa ang-grìt mâi tùuk aai mâak ləəi

Professor free, I think you meant "so embarrassed"?
No need to be embarrassed. It's ok to admit that you used the wrong spelling, better than some fellow when pointed out he used the wrong spelling, says he never do a spell check. :(

btw professor free, can you teach me how to type those romanized thai words with tone marks?

khop khun in advance.

free
18-10-2005, 04:27 AM
Professor free, I think you meant "so embarrassed"?
No need to be embarrassed. It's ok to admit that you used the wrong spelling, better than some fellow when pointed out he used the wrong spelling, says he never do a spell check. :(

btw professor free, can you teach me how to type those romanized thai words with tone marks?

khop khun in advance.Sorry I think so much in thai that I used shy and embarassed interchangeably.

My thought process was I aai maak maak. then I translated aai to shy. 555

For the tone marks, there are 2 ways.

Use the Character Map software in Windows (Program-Accessories-Systems Tools- Character Map) and then choose either Arial Unicode MS font or Lucida Sans Unicode font and slowly find the character and then cut and paste into the text u are entering
the other way is to use the special keyboard software I created to enter the tone marks and special symbols (much faster) by simply enterinng Ctrl+Shift+(keys representing Desired Characters)
(http://learnthai.allhyper.com/images/Thai_transliteration_specialchar.jpg

My thai language students get a copy of this keyboard software. We can enter the tone marks and special characters into Note pad (and Office XP) simply by setting the fonts to Arial Unicode MS or Lucida Sans Unicode (or any Unicode font).

singrakthai
18-10-2005, 10:52 AM
U know what? What u have done is exactly what a lot of us are trained to do in our education system - Learning by Route (读死书). U heard what your teacher said, but u did not truly understand and as a result, u have perhaps learnt the wrong thing and never knew. Either the teacher has not made it clear to you, or u failed to ask or u just assumed wrongly, only u know.

Nothing wrong with asking "nee riak wa arai?" (what is this call?)... and then u follow by asking "plear wa arai?" (what does it translate?)... this is what I learnt too and untill now I still ask like this, "(english word) phasa thai riak wa arai?" "(english sentence) phasa thai plear wa arai?"...

No problem.. can get around...

:)

DNAT
18-10-2005, 11:50 AM
which one? ... :D

Jun|ch|
18-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Huh, you rather pay some old fart and hear him talk cock? :confused:
Remember professor free is very long winded. You ask one question about a thai word, maybe he will tell you the history of thai language.

I do not know how old is he leh,neither do i know he talk cock or not lah.hehee...I quite new to this forum,though i joined pretty long ago.

Good mah,got tirak stories to listen,irregardless of good or bad.Can gain more wisedom...:D

free
18-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Nothing wrong with asking "nee riak wa arai?" (what is this call?)... and then u follow by asking "plear wa arai?" (what does it translate?)... this is what I learnt too and untill now I still ask like this, "(english word) phasa thai riak wa arai?" "(english sentence) phasa thai plear wa arai?"...

No problem.. can get around...

:)When u ask "nee riak wa arai?" and then u follow by asking "plear wa arai?", then the whole thing becomes clear in that u are asking for the name of whatever u are asking, followed by its (English) equivalent. Please note that I have not said that people cannot get around in Thailand without a good command of Thai, or that what I said is the only way. End of the day, language is a live thing. There are more than one way to skin a cat.

"(english word) phasa thai riak wa arai?" "(english sentence) phasa thai plear wa arai?"... This is perfectly OK.

I am just suggesting a more correct way to say things and more importantly to share what the mentioned sentences actually meant in thai.

For those of u who felt that u are already comfortable with what u already know, since u have been doing fine for ages, please don't take what I say seriously. U dun need it.

But for of u who are beginning your journey in learning thai and felt ui might as well learn it right, and feel what I said meant something worthwhile to u, you are most welcome to make use of what I share.

Thai Rak Thai
10-06-2007, 04:38 AM
mayb now got new teachers to teach us?

Malaysian Datuk
11-06-2007, 06:04 PM
mayb now got new teachers to teach us?
bro, you are really a good digger! (take as compliment) :)

motard
24-09-2008, 05:36 PM
Is there anywhere in BKK with a month long course to pick up the thai language?

NobleEagle
24-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Is there anywhere in BKK with a month long course to pick up the thai language?

Got, module 1 & 2 in 20days, 3 & 4 in 60days :D
UTL : Unity Thai Language School (http://www.utl-school.com/english/calendar.htm)

motard
24-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Got anything that's just purely conversation only? I don't think I need to learn how to write. At least not now anyways.

NobleEagle
24-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Got anything that's just purely conversation only? I don't think I need to learn how to write. At least not now anyways.

think u need to learn how to write in order to speak first, why dun u try Cambridge at Peninsula Plaza Singapore, they r more comprehensive...but trust me learning to write is as important as learning conversation too, esp when it comes to sms n msn:p:D

motard
24-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Unfortunately (or not) I probably won't be in Singapore for more than 1 month at any time for at least the next 3-4 years. Therefore, I doubt if I would be able to attend any courses at cambridge.

havana
24-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Try this Thai Language - Learning to Listen (http://www.learningthai.com/listen/index.html)
Free Thai Software Download - Learn Thai with free BYKI software downloads (http://www.byki.com/fls/free-thai-software-download.html?l=thai)

singthai
24-09-2008, 09:38 PM
For bros who wanna pick up thai language in bkk Can try Piammitr Language School in Sukumvit Soi 13 (Trendy Building) Book 1 - 3 teaches u basic thai and also everyday daily conversation Book 4-7 are writing and reading thai Bascically using same text book as UTL but the hour is more flexible can learn fr 9am - 12pm or 1pm - 4pm and also teaher here are more fun coz are much younger than the rest of the school Each book have to learn for 20days and cost 5500b I am now learning to write in thai in this school i also got my one year education visa fr the school Just sharing my personal experience..........

NobleEagle
24-09-2008, 10:26 PM
For bros who wanna pick up thai language in bkk Can try Piammitr Language School in Sukumvit Soi 13 (Trendy Building) Book 1 - 3 teaches u basic thai and also everyday daily conversation Book 4-7 are writing and reading thai Bascically using same text book as UTL but the hour is more flexible can learn fr 9am - 12pm or 1pm - 4pm and also teaher here are more fun coz are much younger than the rest of the school Each book have to learn for 20days and cost 5500b I am now learning to write in thai in this school i also got my one year education visa fr the school Just sharing my personal experience..........

wow its almost the same cost as Cambridge in Singapore...tot learning thai in thai would be cheaper:(

motard
24-09-2008, 11:17 PM
wow its almost the same cost as Cambridge in Singapore...tot learning thai in thai would be cheaper:(

i didn't think it would be cheaper in terms of course fees. however considering you're in a better environment to learn thai as got opportunity to practice, rather than in singapore where it's limited.

NobleEagle
24-09-2008, 11:23 PM
i didn't think it would be cheaper in terms of course fees. however considering you're in a better environment to learn thai as got opportunity to practice, rather than in singapore where it's limited.

ya but u also need to factor in ur airfare, food n lodging while studying there unless they provide student lodging at special rate or sumthin..

pussyman72
25-09-2008, 12:21 AM
think u need to learn how to write in order to speak first, why dun u try Cambridge at Peninsula Plaza Singapore, they r more comprehensive...but trust me learning to write is as important as learning conversation too, esp when it comes to sms n msn:p:D

lol true if u know how to write meaning u must know how to read and when in msn or sms lol the ger ger will :eek:

anyway not many pple can get use to write n read. the best is for them to pickup basic speaking first. it much ez then writing.

till now i still having difficulty remembering all the 44 constants lol......but lucky have friends in bkk keep writing in thai on msn so i have no choice but to understand the words....

NobleEagle
25-09-2008, 02:36 AM
lol true if u know how to write meaning u must know how to read and when in msn or sms lol the ger ger will :eek:

anyway not many pple can get use to write n read. the best is for them to pickup basic speaking first. it much ez then writing.

till now i still having difficulty remembering all the 44 constants lol......but lucky have friends in bkk keep writing in thai on msn so i have no choice but to understand the words....

haha for me can learn the hanyi pinyin of Thai can liao the โรงแรม too chim for me :D:o

Playman
25-09-2008, 02:39 AM
haha for me can learn the hanyi pinyin of Thai can liao the โรงแรม too chim for me :D:o

The most easiest way is to get a thai-english walking dictionary......pow can speak within a month!:D:D 100%

motard
25-09-2008, 04:18 AM
The most easiest way is to get a thai-english walking dictionary......pow can speak within a month!:D:D 100%

i didn't manage to learn how to speak better but definitely understood the language a lot better

CeiResident
25-09-2008, 04:47 AM
Pimsleur Cd is a good approach... worth a try at it..

Pimsleur Approach - Learn any language in 10 days with Pimsleur (http://www.pimsleurapproach.com/)

if going for local school, cambridge sucks..... lingo is much cheaper and the lecturer is betta

pussyman72
25-09-2008, 05:50 AM

lol true true. but many using hanyu pinyin will always pronounce wrongly hehehehehe just like me when i started off learning to speak always speak wrong tone. till now i still have words that i said wrongly but lucky have thai friends who will correct me.

my ger sometimes do speak to me in thai. there was a period i having problem learning cos my ger teach me northern thai. friend in the central teach me actual thai then my 2nd siao aye teach me isan..... nb until i got so farking confuse lol.....

so now i stick to my actual thai better at least i wont get so confuse.....

i stop for the last 2 mths on learning how to read n write... think i better start again been very bz with work never really go pratice... good for me anyway it increase my knowledge of the words and at the sametime i learn more vocaps and sentencing which till now i still having problem.....

best place to learn beside those thai learning program which teaches us thai words, vocaps, etc... is to watch MTV alot of thai words and slowly u get to know the words.

most important the constants, vowels and tones must understand n the rest will be easy to translate into thai >> english.... plus a little help from some thai friends or ah chan advices. u will learn and undestand better...

perish__
25-09-2008, 10:29 AM
lol true true. but many using hanyu pinyin will always pronounce wrongly hehehehehe just like me when i started off learning to speak always speak wrong tone. till now i still have words that i said wrongly but lucky have thai friends who will correct me.

my ger sometimes do speak to me in thai. there was a period i having problem learning cos my ger teach me northern thai. friend in the central teach me actual thai then my 2nd siao aye teach me isan..... nb until i got so farking confuse lol.....

so now i stick to my actual thai better at least i wont get so confuse.....

i stop for the last 2 mths on learning how to read n write... think i better start again been very bz with work never really go pratice... good for me anyway it increase my knowledge of the words and at the sametime i learn more vocaps and sentencing which till now i still having problem.....

best place to learn beside those thai learning program which teaches us thai words, vocaps, etc... is to watch MTV alot of thai words and slowly u get to know the words.

most important the constants, vowels and tones must understand n the rest will be easy to translate into thai >> english.... plus a little help from some thai friends or ah chan advices. u will learn and undestand better...

get a long hair dictionary , thai sure from nid noy become mak mak

Playman
25-09-2008, 10:35 AM
i didn't manage to learn how to speak better but definitely understood the language a lot better

Sorry bro...when I say "walking" means life dictionary....which will follows you and speak to you everytime is Thai.....only!

etct88
25-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Sorry bro...when I say "walking" means life dictionary....which will follows you and speak to you everytime is Thai.....only!

My Lord Khun Thai Playman,

Speaking from experience....... clap clap clap.......:):):)

Playman
25-09-2008, 10:54 AM

Best is to learn from Bangkok people as they use the Thai learn in school which is the actual thai and with this you can communicate any where in Thailand and they understand you.

Isan and Changrai...are known as dialect...not actual Thai. Actual Thai is use in business dealing, too, so it is important to learn the actual Thai....the moment you speak with Isan accent ....they will ask you (from thai friends) wow....got Isan gf.....and they smile...like the Hokkien in Penang....we can recognise it straight away.....!

Hope this info helps!:D

motard
25-09-2008, 02:10 PM

i knew exactly what you meant

pussyman72
25-09-2008, 04:32 PM

hehehe xie xie but i think the info is good for bros who just starting to have gf there lol i dont need liao :p

25-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Bros who want to learn and write Thai, you refer to Thai Music, Thai Lyrics and Thai Songs ฟังเพลง เพลงไทย - Learn Thai through music (http://www.ethaimusic.com) and go to the forum and to the sticky "how I translate thai songs by justbob". This is the fastest way to pronounce thai words. Read up my postings.
Justbob was my nick at the forum. Learn to sing those song under artists, at the same time it gives you the translations and starts to note down in your vocabulary. Start by singers like Loso, Clash, Bird Thonchai, Taxi and etc. Let me know if u need assistance and don't attend classes if it is romanised or hanyi piyin, u never go far.

25-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Learn some thai songs such as songs by clash, loso, peacemaker. There are many Thai K in Singapore. Try singing and the Thais will be impressed if u are a foreigner. Thai songs are so romantic and heartbreaking. Pick up a verse and try to sing to a Thai FL and you will see what I mean. I have amassed up to 2000 words but unable to speak fluently but I can understand if they speak slowly and also read words,signboards, menus when I in Thailand.
You need to have Thai friends to go along.
I learned Thai to understand Thai songs.

Playman
28-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Best is to learn from Bangkok people as they use the Thai learn in school which is the actual thai and with this you can communicate any where in Thailand and they understand you.

Isan and Changrai...are known as dialect...not actual Thai. Actual Thai is use in business dealing, too, so it is important to learn the actual Thai....the moment you speak with Isan accent ....they will ask you (from thai friends) wow....got Isan gf.....and they smile...like the Hokkien in Penang....we can recognise it straight away.....!

hehehe xie xie but i think the info is good for bros who just starting to have gf there lol i dont need liao :p

KNN being zapped by saying the above.......if you don't agree ok fair enough move on but I am telling you from experience...baa, see ber......tam nam na!

pussyman72
28-09-2008, 05:24 PM
KNN being zapped by saying the above.......if you don't agree ok fair enough move on but I am telling you from experience...baa, see ber......tam nam na!

excuse me, mr playman are u referring to me............ if u are then i think u better get it right before flaming me..... get ur facts right before doing so..... :mad: n u better mind ur words...

i give u the point the last time using remark ...... since u are so rude. i will ask my friend to zap u :mad:

keet
28-09-2008, 05:27 PM
excuse me, mr playman are u referring to me............ if u are then i think u better get it right before flaming me..... get ur facts right before doing so..... :mad: n u better mai ur words...

now i will zap u... for the words u used.... :mad:

jia yen yen na :)

singthai
28-09-2008, 06:19 PM
From personal experience The difficult parts in learning thai is getting the prononuciation right coz many words sounds the same so if pronounce wrong meaning also wrong eg.words in thai like ''far'' and ''near'' , ''snake'' and ''tiger'' Important is get the prononciation right as for me i started learning fr thai friends and also pick up words and phrase fr the street and when i started taking reading and writing lesson in thai found out that passat kian and passat putt is different To all those who want to pick up thai language Good Luck and hope u guys achieve your goal soon............

pussyman72
28-09-2008, 06:28 PM
when i started taking reading and writing lesson in thai found out that passat kian and passat putt is different To all those who want to pick up thai language Good Luck and hope u guys achieve your goal soon............

do agree with your bro singthai. it not ez to pick up reading and writing. best for bro first pick up the speaking first. writing most important is to understand the gor gai, kor kai before starting with the rest else it going to be very hard to read dont said about writing.

Writing need alot of practices.

i stated mine by self practices in writing and try remembering the letters. thru my thai friends in msn they actually type in thais and let me get use to the words. once i know how to read abit the next thing is to understand the vocaps.

start with basic thai words and slowly move up with more difficult words.

havana
28-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Try this then u will know how hard is it.....:(
thai-language.com (http://thai-language.com/let/161.2)

Playman
29-09-2008, 01:06 AM
excuse me, mr playman are u referring to me............ if u are then i think u better get it right before flaming me..... get ur facts right before doing so..... :mad: n u better mind ur words...

I am screwing "him"......sign off as "don".....! Definitely not you....we are sharing here and I don't like to get in any war with anyone...tell me if I says anything wrong!

i give u the point the last time using remark ...... since u are so rude. i will ask my friend to zap u :mad:

No I am not referring to you as I am quoting that even pussyman72 is agreeing with me.....I dunno who zapped me....but he put in his name as "don".....I didn't say anything wrong....did I?::(

Playman
29-09-2008, 01:12 AM
jia yen yen na :)

Sorry for the mis-understanding.....I was actually trying to say that pussyman72 also agrees with me....a simple statement.

Moreover pussyman72 didn't says anything offensive so there is nothing for me to be angry about only someone....says that it is non-sense and fcuk me in thai and zapped me a few times. through his friends.

Sorry to you and pussyman72 for the mis-understanding!

By the way....is there anyone who nick is Don here.....?

No problem....life move on!:D

Playman
29-09-2008, 03:29 AM
do agree with your bro singthai. it not ez to pick up reading and writing. best for bro first pick up the speaking first. writing most important is to understand the gor gai, kor kai before starting with the rest else it going to be very hard to read dont said about writing.

Writing need alot of practices.

i stated mine by self practices in writing and try remembering the letters. thru my thai friends in msn they actually type in thais and let me get use to the words. once i know how to read abit the next thing is to understand the vocaps.

start with basic thai words and slowly move up with more difficult words.

Hmmmm....you must be very good with your thai now.....respect as thai is very difficult to learn, must cheong with you in Thailand one of these days and keep my mouth shut so that I can enjoy all the local thai prices.....hahahahahha!:D

motard
29-09-2008, 03:54 AM
I have problems learning to speak, not to mention to attempt to read and write? :eek:

Tony Stark
29-09-2008, 04:20 AM
Learn some thai songs such as songs by clash, loso, peacemaker. There are many Thai K in Singapore. Try singing and the Thais will be impressed if u are a foreigner.

I like Carabao. I think if you know how to sing Carabao songs then the Thais will be even more impressed because you're very old school! Puearn cheewit. All the Thai uncles will rejoice and pat you on your back! Yeehawww country style. Haha. :D

motard
29-09-2008, 04:28 AM
I like Carabao. I think if you know how to sing Carabao songs then the Thais will be even more impressed because you're very old school! Puearn cheewit. All the Thai uncles will rejoice and pat you on your back! Yeehawww country style. Haha. :D

He sang made in thailand right? :p

pussyman72
29-09-2008, 04:33 AM
Hmmmm....you must be very good with your thai now.....respect as thai is very difficult to learn, must cheong with you in Thailand one of these days and keep my mouth shut so that I can enjoy all the local thai prices.....hahahahahha!:D

my thai not very good :o lol why bcos my dear speak to me in english most of the time lol. can talk to ger ger get fark can liao lol

but im trying very hard to learn how to write n read plus improved my speaking. since i wants my company to post me to thailand n work.

NobleEagle
29-09-2008, 12:38 PM

haha then the SYT Thais will call u naa chai (uncle) instead of pee chai (brother) hehe :p

ProfessorOokami
29-09-2008, 06:26 PM

Hope this info helps!

I dont know why someone would zap you for this.

Anyway, I would like to "correct" your statement:

Bangkok dialect is not exactly the standard Thai language, but rather very near to the standard Thai language. eg. KHRAP is pronounced as "KARP" in the bangkok dialect, whereas it is still "KHRAP" in standard Thai [the one that is stdied in schools and even up to Universities] Something like the Beijing dialect is the basis of standard Hanyu [or Putonghua] but standard Hanyu is not 100% Beijing dialect.

Actually, it is termed as "standard Thai language" and not "actual Thai language".

The Isan dialect is a near relative or offshoot of the Lao [or Laotian] language. Most of the Laotian people can understand Thai [very much similar to Thai]
Lao or Laotian (pronounced in Laotian as "phasa lao" similar ka?) is a tonal language of the Tai-Kadai language family. It is the official language of Laos, and also spoken in the northeast of Thailand, where it is usually referred to as the Isan language.

Take a look at this comparison of Laotian and Thai:

* LAOTIAN> "sao ngam kwa dok" The lady is prettier than a flower.
* THAI> "puying shuai gua dokmai"

* LAOTIAN> "sao ngam thisut" The lady is the prettiest.
* THAI > "puying shuai tisoot"

Thus, many Thai people of Issan origin, may detest being identified as ISSAN people as many Thai still consider Laos or Laotians as lower class people.

I would suggest you all learn the standard Thai. Here is a very good website for those who want to write, read and listen to Thai pronounciations:

thai-language.com - Dictionary (http://www.thai-language.com/dict/)

For those who want to learn many "love" words which are not found in Thai-English dictionaries, please procure this book with CD:

"Thai for Lovers" by Nit & Jack Ajee [ISBN 1-88752-04-6] or visit:

Thai & Lao Language Services - Translation and Interpretation (http://www.thailao.com)

Trust me..my command of Thai language went up sky-high and of course with frequent practices in Danok :D

Playman
29-09-2008, 06:32 PM

Yeah "Made In Bangkok" he is good and he use to sing in the Hollywood Disco those days.....I like him!:D

Playman
29-09-2008, 06:42 PM
my thai not very good :o lol why bcos my dear speak to me in english most of the time lol. can talk to ger ger get fark can liao lol

but im trying very hard to learn how to write n read plus improved my speaking. since i wants my company to post me to thailand n work.

Wow...hopefully that you got the job so that we have a good guide when we are in Bangkok.....all the best!:D

Playman
29-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Bangkok dialect is not exactly the standard Thai language, but rather very near to the standard Thai language. eg. KHRAP is pronounced as "KARP" in the bangkok dialect, whereas it is still "KHRAP" in standard Thai [the one that is stdied in schools and even up to Universities] Something like the Beijing dialect is the basis of standard Hanyu [or Putonghua] but standard Hanyu is not 100% Beijing dialect.

Actually, it is termed as "standard Thai language" and not "actual Thai language".

The Isan dialect is a near relative or offshoot of the Lao [or Laotian] language. Most of the Laotian people can understand Thai [very much similar to Thai]
Lao or Laotian (pronounced in Laotian as "phasa lao" similar ka?) is a tonal language of the Tai-Kadai language family. It is the official language of Laos, and also spoken in the northeast of Thailand, where it is usually referred to as the Isan language.

Thus, many Thai people of Issan origin, may detest being identified as ISSAN people as many Thai still consider Laos or Laotians as lower class people.

I would suggest you all learn the standard Thai. Here is a very good website for those who want to write, read and listen to Thai pronounciations:

For those who want to learn many "love" words which are not found in Thai-English dictionaries, please procure this book with CD:

Thai & Lao Language Services - Translation and Interpretation (http://www.thailao.com)

Trust me..my command of Thai language went up sky-high and of course with frequent practices in Danok :D

Well, thanks for the information...today I, too learn something new. Great Keep it up! Pro!~:D

NobleEagle
29-09-2008, 06:54 PM

Thou they might be from Laos but some of them are able to speak two diff. Thai languages esp. if one has stay long time in or near BKK, my ex-girl's parents is from Laos but she is able to speak normal Thai and Laos Thai as well...

kwanteen
29-09-2008, 07:15 PM
TS, u still conduct classes to share n teach thai lesson for sbf members? :D

NobleEagle
29-09-2008, 08:35 PM

haha bro i think ur 3yrs late if u want to join TS classes:p

but i find the modern thais speak slightly differently from the traditional or std thai nowadays, they use many shortcuts n slang...like hiu kaao they will say hiu liao and slangs like arai wa..etc :D

holymannn
29-09-2008, 08:52 PM

proffffff.... you are the man le..... when can i learn thai from you in danok??? drink on me... shuai mai?

holymannn
29-09-2008, 08:56 PM
haha bro i think ur 3yrs late if u want to join TS classes:p

but i find the modern thais speak slightly differently from the traditional or std thai nowadays, they use many shortcuts n slang...like hiu kaao they will say hiu liao and slangs like arai wa..etc :D

sifuuuu... when you wanna teach me some thai so that i can impress my puyings?????

naemlo
29-09-2008, 09:40 PM
they use many shortcuts n slang...like hiu kaao they will say hiu liao and slangs like arai wa..etc :D

U into sayang n tirak... em yeu u like??

sifuuuu... when you wanna teach me some thai so that i can impress my puyings?????

I also waiting for both u to teach me. So that I can impression all the puyings in Thailand. :D

NobleEagle
29-09-2008, 10:23 PM

any pussies not holding Sillypore passports all i like :D but once awhile local pussies happens to come along i also like la but since their "oysters" so golden sometimes hard to swallow la :p

pussyman72
29-09-2008, 11:40 PM

wah bro u also here lol u no need fly meh lol :p

pussyman72
29-09-2008, 11:41 PM

then how how about u hehehehe u now prefer sayang or tirak liao kekekeke when u come back kopi lei :(

NobleEagle
29-09-2008, 11:59 PM
then how how about u hehehehe u now prefer sayang or tirak liao kekekeke when u come back kopi lei :(

i see the Indonesia force is strong in him:p

NobleEagle
30-09-2008, 12:03 AM

wah mai chak me leh Shifuuu Holy, my thai is like peanuts (one bit one bit) compared to your Thai like Spring River wan flow smooth smooth wan, you should teach me instead haha :D:o:(

holymannn
30-09-2008, 02:17 AM

I also waiting for both u to teach me. So that I can impression all the puyings in Thailand. :D

wah sifuuuu.. you so greedy..... want to impress all puyings....

me not very greedy... i just want to impress 1% of top 10000 pretties puyings in thai can liao.... kekeke....

holymannn
30-09-2008, 02:19 AM
any pussies not holding Sillypore passports all i like :D but once awhile local pussies happens to come along i also like la but since their "oysters" so golden sometimes hard to swallow la :p

aiyo.... sifuuu... you already well trained liao..... even the oyster made of diamond you also can swallow la... keke

naemlo
30-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Tirak is still the best but unfortunately I can't touch other tiraks in BKK so sayang, em yeu, qing ai de my only choices. :D Kopi this evening loh. I reaching SG abt 2000hrs.

i see the Indonesia force is strong in him:p

No no... Indo cewek is strong.

me not very greedy... i just want to impress 1% of top 10000 pretties puyings in thai can liao.... kekeke....

U not greedy meh? :rolleyes: When want to bring me go danok n hatyai???

holymannn
30-09-2008, 01:36 PM
Tirak is still the best but unfortunately I can't touch other tiraks in BKK so sayang, em yeu, qing ai de my only choices. :D Kopi this evening loh. I reaching SG abt 2000hrs.

No no... Indo cewek is strong.

U not greedy meh? :rolleyes: When want to bring me go danok n hatyai???

aiyo sifuuuuu.... is my honor to serve you la. you just need to tell me when you want to come la... i try to suit you lo sui boh.... better weekend la...... sui boh?

naemlo
30-09-2008, 01:39 PM
aiyo sifuuuuu.... is my honor to serve you la. you just need to tell me when you want to come la... i try to suit you lo sui boh.... better weekend la...... sui boh?

Swee u said 1 hor... I go mai say not free. :D

holymannn
30-09-2008, 01:44 PM

you let me know your date first la.... dont tell me last minute la.... need time to create story one ma.... weekend most probably can...

pussyman72
30-09-2008, 02:12 PM

swee on u. 2300H ur house that kopi tiam we always meet for kopi. call me if u cannot make it in time hor n pls bring ur dog give me play kekekeke :p

TD.king
30-09-2008, 02:19 PM
you let me know your date first la.... dont tell me last minute la.... need time to create story one ma.... weekend most probably can...

Prince Holy u don't kei kei leh! u where got need to create story. u everyday on standby wan right? heard that u got all ur barang barang ready in ur car:D. 1 call from puying and 1.5hrs later u r there:D

naemlo
30-09-2008, 02:47 PM

Ok no problem. U wait hor.

swee on u. 2300H ur house that kopi tiam we always meet for kopi. call me if u cannot make it in time hor n pls bring ur dog give me play kekekeke :p

U chun boh?? Y so late, earlier can? I want to eat dinner. Make it 9 plus.

NobleEagle
30-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Prince Holy u don't kei kei leh! u where got need to create story. u everyday on standby wan right? heard that u got all ur barang barang ready in ur car:D. 1 call from puying and 1.5hrs later u r there:D

hahaha wah faster than army mob recall :p

pussyman72
30-09-2008, 07:56 PM
U chun boh?? Y so late, earlier can? I want to eat dinner. Make it 9 plus.

wah piang i just come home lei at least give me rest ma. tired like hell lei

singthai
30-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Thai alphabets

ก-gor gai. ข-kor kai. ฃ-kor kuat.ค-kor kwaay. ฅ-kor kon. ฆ-kor rakang. ง-ngor nguu. จ-jor jaan. ฉ-chor chin. ช-chor chaan.ซ-sor soh. ฌ-chor cher. ญ-yor yin. ฎ-dor cha daa. ฏ-tor pa tak. ฐ-tor san taan. ฑ-tor mon thon. ฒ-tor puu taw. ณ-nor nen. ด-dor dek. ต-tor tau. ถ-tor tun. ท-tor tahan. ธ-tor tong.น-nor nuu. บ-bor bai mai. ป-por plaa. ผ-por peun. ฝ-for faa.พ-por paan. ฟ-for fun. ภ-por sam tao. ม-mor maa. ย-yor yak. ร-ror reua.ล-lor lin. ว-wor went. ศ-sor saa laa. ษ-sor luesii. ส-sor seua. ห-hor hiib.ฬ-lor ju laa. อ-aor aan. ฮ-hor nok huuk.

NobleEagle
30-09-2008, 09:50 PM
are these the 42 constraints they are talking abt?

holymannn
30-09-2008, 10:03 PM
Thai alphabets

ก-gor gai. ข-kor kai. ฃ-kor kuat.ค-kor kwaay. ฅ-kor kon. ฆ-kor rakang. ง-ngor nguu. จ-jor jaan. ฉ-chor chin. ช-chor chaan.ซ-sor soh. ฌ-chor cher. ญ-yor yin. ฎ-dor cha daa. ฏ-tor pa tak. ฐ-tor san taan. ฑ-tor mon thon. ฒ-tor puu taw. ณ-nor nen. ด-dor dek. ต-tor tau. ถ-tor tun. ท-tor tahan. ธ-tor tong.น-nor nuu. บ-bor bai mai. ป-por plaa. ผ-por peun. ฝ-for faa.พ-por paan. ฟ-for fun. ภ-por sam tao. ม-mor maa. ย-yor yak. ร-ror reua.ล-lor lin. ว-wor went. ศ-sor saa laa. ษ-sor luesii. ส-sor seua. ห-hor hiib.ฬ-lor ju laa. อ-aor aan. ฮ-hor nok huuk.

wah lao er.... some of the characters look the same to me... how to recognize le.... dont think i got patient to learn la.... just learn how to speak can liao. i dont want to write love letter to puyings.... just ask koon wang mai? ao pai ron rem poom mai?? kekeke....

Playman
30-09-2008, 10:51 PM

Bro...prince Holy is the man when you want to go to Danok! The ultimate puying killer!:D

freshjiVer
30-09-2008, 11:35 PM
I need some help here. Can anyone assist to translate the following :-

-> tee lak, sa bai dee mai? kuntam arai yoo sow ah tit nee.

Thank you. :D

lostmypants
30-09-2008, 11:43 PM
:DI need some help here. Can anyone assist to translate the following :-

It means:

Darling...how are u? Wat are u doing this weekend?:D

WRONG DUN BLAME ME AH....I BASIC ONE LA

Playman
01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
:D

It means:

Bro....your thai very good..can teach me when I am in bangkok?:D

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 01:57 AM
are these the 42 constraints they are talking abt?

yup this are 42 constants

Playman
01-10-2008, 02:07 AM

Ok..so this is the A-Z version of thai language needed to read and write?

Sound difficult....not easy!:(

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 02:13 AM
here is my own notes that i use to do up for my web.

http://www.linkpicture.com/out.php?i=17214_Consonants1.JPG
http://www.linkpicture.com/out.php?i=17213_Consonants2.JPG
http://www.linkpicture.com/out.php?i=17212_Consonants3tone.JPG
http://www.linkpicture.com/out.php?i=17211_ThaiVowels.JPG

Playman
01-10-2008, 02:20 AM
here is my own notes that i use to do up for my web.

Bro pussyman72....I think that we need to go to a proper class to learn all these and if self learn, it will takes a lot of effort and time!

Too difficult for me and I am too old to learn....hahahahah!:D

lostmypants
01-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Bro....your thai very good..can teach me when I am in bangkok?:D

KNS....chak me again ah bro....:p

I newbie lah...where got good...see all the chats and all used by Bro Pussyman...I blur like SOTONG!!!:eek:

U in BKK must bring me to all ur cheonging places ok...if i am here lah...

LMP

Playman
01-10-2008, 02:41 AM
KNS....chak me again ah bro....:p

I newbie lah...where got good...see all the chats and all used by Bro Pussyman...I blur like SOTONG!!!:eek:

U in BKK must bring me to all ur cheonging places ok...if i am here lah...

LMP

Me bringing....don't chak me....I am a newbie in Bkk scene....hahahahaah!:D

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 03:02 AM

It means:

Shifu LMP, u translate from website or u learn by ear wan huh?
If website which website huh?

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 03:05 AM
Bro pussyman72....I think that we need to go to a proper class to learn all these and if self learn, it will takes a lot of effort and time!

yes i agree if learn urself it going to be alot of effort but again u will remember by hard after that :D actually by now i should have remember all the constant n vowel but lei lol i very lazy so never really go practice often

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 03:05 AM

Too difficult for me and I am too old to learn....hahahahah!:D

yea i agree Shifu Playman, which kind sould can help conduct a class for us? I dun mind paying tuition fee plus after tat go cheong together :D

lostmypants
01-10-2008, 03:15 AM
Shifu LMP, u translate from website or u learn by ear wan huh?
If website which website huh?

No la bro....no website la...all learn from "Long hair Walking Dictionary" over the years wan la...:D

But still far from good la....:o

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 03:19 AM
No la bro....no website la...all learn from "Long hair Walking Dictionary" over the years wan la...:D

But still far from good la....:o

haha u mean puying dictionary ah? wah she really good teacher na:D

lostmypants
01-10-2008, 03:22 AM

hee hee...bro....correction....u mean "puyings" rite? Not "puying":rolleyes:

But then now...old already....wings kena clipped....so stuck with CO now....SIGH....:o

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 03:39 AM

But then now...old already....wings kena clipped....so stuck with CO now....SIGH....

haha tats where the excuse of entertainment with fellow cheongsters comes in handy :p:D

so ur station in BKK thruout now? i will be there in Nov too, probably chio u out for drink or too if ur free then ya? ;)

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 03:51 AM

But then now...old already....wings kena clipped....so stuck with CO now....SIGH....:o

actual should spell this way in thai :p

ผู้หญิง = Poo Ying = ผู้ Poo หญิง ying Poo = p is the constant while the vowel is the oo as for the contast for ying is the Y. Vowel is I and constant NG

lostmypants
01-10-2008, 04:17 AM
wah bro PM....very very deep leh.......siffuuuuuu....

Yeah seen that spelling be4 too...never really bothered by that....just went with the flow...thanks for pointing it out bro....:D

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 04:21 AM
wah bro PM....very very deep leh.......siffuuuuuu....

Yeah seen that spelling be4 too...never really bothered by that....just went with the flow...thanks for pointing it out bro....:D

lol that is basic lar :p i still having problem understanding certain constant way of use....

ห << this one is a H or no word ญิง < This one then is call ying but when word structure is หญิง = ying. so sometime take me for awhile to understand the meaning...

there are other words infront dont mean anything de. my thai friend told me some are just something like a tone without it doesnt mean anything. lol so it takes time to understand :p

naemlo
01-10-2008, 09:06 AM
NBzzz all learning the bean sprout wording... :D Want to impression the puying?? :D

holymannn
01-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I need some help here. Can anyone assist to translate the following :-

wow..... so envy you... puying sent you this msg mean she hope you go to look for her la.... keke

holymannn
01-10-2008, 09:51 AM

sifu.... every puying is good in teaching thai..... especially those can speak english or mandarin fluently one. They can do direct translation for you. so the learning rate is fast. but one of my puying refuse to teach me thai. she said i will tackle other gal using thai after i know... really kns...

holymannn
01-10-2008, 09:55 AM
actual should spell this way in thai :p

ผู้หญิง = Poo Ying = ผู้ Poo หญิง ying Poo = p is the constant while the vowel is the oo as for the contast for ying is the Y. Vowel is I and constant NG

sifuuuuuu..... really the deep le.... dont think i got patient to learn thai writing.... really blur after seeing the characters.... surrender liao..... my goal very simple, can speak broken thai can liao... so long puying understand.... keke

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
my goal very simple, can speak broken thai can liao... so long puying understand.... keke

wa i not sifu lei mai anyhow call i also student hor. :( can speak broken thai is ok. i also speak broken thai. most important not just speak broken thai must be able to bpaak waan :p ger buay tahan u when u bpaak waan with her LOL :D

when u bpaak waan with her, she will said u dtor-lae :p

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
NBzzz all learning the bean sprout wording... :D Want to impression the puying?? :D

lol we learn bean sprout words then what u will be learning ^^ sayang words ??? kekekek u already become the south liao fang qi north ba. kekeke

lostmypants
01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
wa i not sifu lei mai anyhow call i also student hor. :( can speak broken thai is ok. i also speak broken thai. most important not just speak broken thai must be able to bpaak waan :p ger buay tahan u when u bpaak waan with her LOL

hahaha....yeah lor.....all the thai POOYINGS...say i fat fat...cute cute...but bpaak waan mak mak....hee hee.....

So bpaak waan is the killer lor....some how they say u dtor lae...but still like leh? Never understood...but does not killme so wat the hell....:rolleyes:

if they say i bpaak waan....i will just say....eiiii....dun remember u try be4 leh....want to try now?? HEE HEE!!!

LMP

bigbigbig
01-10-2008, 03:41 PM
You can learn but you must talk everyday to maintain your thai. :)

Get a thai girlfriend!

naemlo
01-10-2008, 05:47 PM
lol we learn bean sprout words then what u will be learning ^^ sayang words ??? kekekek u already become the south liao fang qi north ba. kekeke

Waktu kami pergi mengambil kopi? :rolleyes:

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Waktu kami pergi mengambil kopi? :rolleyes:

wa cb talk to me in malay lol later tonite call u for kopi lar lol but dont spread ur virus to me hor i scare :p

naemlo
01-10-2008, 06:18 PM
wa cb talk to me in malay lol later tonite call u for kopi lar lol but dont spread ur virus to me hor i scare :p

Puki, it is Indo Bahasa not malay....:D

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
sifu.... every puying is good in teaching thai..... especially those can speak english or mandarin fluently one. They can do direct translation for you. so the learning rate is fast. but one of my puying refuse to teach me thai. she said i will tackle other gal using thai after i know... really kns...

Ha provided she dun speak to u in broken thai mixed with english and u converse with broken thai mixed with english then end up like blind leading the blind thus why i find problem stringing a full sentence in Thai haha:p

singthai
01-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Personally i feel when u meet a thai girl for the first time NEVER try to impress her by letting her know u can speak or understand thai Knowing how to speak thai she will know u come here often or ever have a thai gf so u automatically will be catagorises as ''Old Eagle'' And also if she doesnt know u understand thai when she speak to her friend or on phone u can know what she up to too.Just my personal view......................:)

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 07:16 PM
will be catagorises as ''Old Eagle'' And also if she doesnt know u understand thai when she speak to her friend or on phone u can know what she up to too.Just my personal view......................:)

lol agree agree. dont need to show off to the gers when just got to know them kekekeke must be in control kekekeke

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 07:33 PM
Personally i feel when u meet a thai girl for the first time NEVER try to impress her by letting her know u can speak or understand thai Knowing how to speak thai she will know u come here often or ever have a thai gf so u automatically will be catagorises as ''Old Eagle'' And also if she doesnt know u understand thai when she speak to her friend or on phone u can know what she up to too.Just my personal view......................:)

only problem is when she doesnt speak or understand a single word of English then like chicken n duck when talking to her but these type of gems r the best "mountain chicken" :D

holymannn
01-10-2008, 07:51 PM
wa i not sifu lei mai anyhow call i also student hor. :( can speak broken thai is ok. i also speak broken thai. most important not just speak broken thai must be able to bpaak waan :p ger buay tahan u when u bpaak waan with her LOL :D

aiyo sifuuu... please help to translate bpaak waan and dtor-lae.... mai kao cai ni......

holymannn
01-10-2008, 07:58 PM

yes sifu.... well said, well said.... my gal like to chat thai with me, she feel very more comfortable. But another gal doesnt like to chat thai with me, she prefer to chat in cantonese. but i always like to speak my broken thai to her till she beh tahan and correct my broken thai... keke... kind of fun la.... but i never try to chat thai with new puying la because dont know them well ma.... keke

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
aiyo sifuuu... please help to translate bpaak waan and dtor-lae.... mai kao cai ni......

bpaak waan = sweet talk
dtor-lae = fib another meaning lie. ;)

kammou1289
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
only problem is when she doesnt speak or understand a single word of English then like chicken n duck when talking to her but these type of gems r the best "mountain chicken" :D

haha... yaya, bro NE, sometimes i do like this kind of mountain chicken.. hehe new feeling ma.. some more, a kind of funny when we talk with them n they reply us with thai back.. keke... n need to learn some basic hand language... or even must used some body language too... keke...

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Watch Thai TV For FREE

Now u can brush up ur Thai language, keep in touch with current Thai programmes, dramas, varieties, MTV, movies...etc

Maxnettv.tv ดูทีวี ทีวีออนไลน์ ( tvonline ) ไทยและเทศ ข่าว, ละคร, และรายการ เกมส์โชว์ ต่างๆมากมาย. ช่อง3, ช่อง5, ช่อง7, ช่อง9, ช่อง11, itv , ช่องทีวี เกาหลี (http://www.maxnettv.tv/index.php?type=tv)

Enjoy! :D:cool:;)

holymannn
01-10-2008, 09:47 PM
bpaak waan = sweet talk
dtor-lae = fib another meaning lie. ;)

sifuuu.... is dtor-lae same as gho hok???

freshjiVer
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
wow..... so envy you... puying sent you this msg mean she hope you go to look for her la.... keke

Gee - so does that mean she's asking what i will be doing over the weekend, as what the other bro has translated in his earlier post?

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Gee - so does that mean she's asking what i will be doing over the weekend, as what the other bro has translated in his earlier post?

no she is telling you she dun want to see u again becus she is waiting for Prince holymannn to go dinner on this weekend:p:rolleyes:

ninewins
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
sifuuu.... is dtor-lae same as gho hok???

dtor lae = bullshit

gho hok = lying

hope that helps...

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 11:11 PM
dtor lae = bullshit

gho hok = lying

hope that helps...

so gho hok is a more polite way of saying as compared to dtor lae?

gho hok to someone not so familiar?
dtor lae to someone close?

will someone that u jus met be offended if u say dtor lae?

holymannn
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
so gho hok is a more polite way of saying as compared to dtor lae ya?

gho hok to someone not so familiar?
dtor lae to someone close?

most of the time i heard puyings said gho hok only... no dtor lae le...... Sifuuuus please enlighten when should use dtor lae???

ProfessorOokami
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM

I would like to correct that [Kor thot mak khrap]:

They are not called "constraints" or "constants", they are called "consonants".

In fact there are 44 letters [Thai alphabet] that represent 21 consonant phones [sounds] and they are classified into groups: 9 middle class; 11 high class; 24 low class [for differentiation of tone rendition to each word and to distinguish words that have a similar sound but having different meanings and spelling]

Apart from these consonants [in every language, a consonant can not stand alone to produce a meaningful sound, thus it needs to combine with a vowel to form a syllable, and Thai like Hanyu, is basically monosyllabic] Apart from these consonants, you have 18 vowels [long and short vowels] and 16 dipthongs [combination of 2 vowels, like "ao"]and tripthongs [combination of 3 vowels, like " uaa"], plus 10 numerals to make Thai a complex written language [but not as complex as Hanyu]

Enjoy! ;)

singthai
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM
My understanding of thai language ''gho hok'' is ''kong pian wei'' and ''dtor lae'' is ''kong lan jiao wei'' Hope this helps.................

holymannn
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM
My understanding of thai language ''gho hok'' is ''kong pian wei'' and ''dtor lae'' is ''kong lan jiao wei'' Hope this helps.................

oh....... you are the man sifuuuu.... now i understand liao.... keke...

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM

In fact there are 44 letters [Thai alphabet] that represent 21 consonant phones [sounds] and they are classified into groups: 9 middle class; 11 high class; 24 low class [for differentiation of tone rendition to each word and to distinguish words that have a similar sound but having different meanings and spelling]

Enjoy! ;)

solid, really befits ur nick, Professor really Professor, thanks Shifu Ookami for enlightening us.:D

btw besides these websites, could u advise is there other better thai translation websites around? i find these two still not so good in direct translation and very difficult to translate or form sentences too :(

Thai to English dictionary & transliteration (http://www.thai2english.com)

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I would like to correct that [Kor thot mak khrap]:

In fact there are 44 letters [Thai alphabet]

hehehe np bro PO :) sorry for the spelling mistake :o i remember 2 are not in used anymore from the consonants.

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 11:56 PM
btw besides these websites, could u advise is there other better thai translation websites around?

NobleEagle
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM

hahaha i like ur explanation, very good now i also understand clearly liao:D

pussyman72
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM

lol nice hokkien translation :D

dtor lae u also can call as fib. meaning of fib http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fib

singthai
01-10-2008, 11:59 PM
oh....... you are the man sifuuuu.... now i understand liao.... keke...

Bro i am no sifu just sharing what i know A word of advice words such as ''dtor lae'' use only on friends or someone u know as such words are know as ''Maii Su Pub'' or in laymen term ''Not courteous'' Becoz thai lanugage and culture is different from singapore eg.u can hear singaporean including words like ''fug'', ''ccb'' in our sentence but u will not hear it coming out off any decent thai people Just my personal view and understanding of thai language and culture:):)

pussyman72
02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Bro i am no sifu just sharing what i know A word of advice words such as ''dtor lae'' use only on friends or someone u know as such words are know as ''Maii Su Pub'' or in laymen term ''Not courteous''

yes agree not very good if said to someone u dont know....best to said goh hok.

if dont know how to use the word try not to use it else sure kanna fark lol :D

pussyman72
02-10-2008, 12:06 AM
anyway guys dont need to call sifu here sifu there lar. we all here to learn n correct our language.

it good to learn from one another mistake so that all can improved the lang and hehehe with the gers :p:D

NobleEagle
02-10-2008, 12:08 AM
Bro i am no sifu just sharing what i know A word of advice words such as ''dtor lae'' use only on friends or someone u know as such words are know as ''Maii Su Pub'' or in laymen term ''Not courteous'' Becoz thai lanugage and culture is different from singapore eg.u can hear singaporean including words like ''fug'', ''ccb'' in our sentence but u will not hear it coming out off any decent thai people Just my personal view and understanding of thai language and culture

hahaha yea i last time everytime kena F upside down by my ex when i try to learn those unothodox thai words, she says unless u are very close to them otherwise some will feel really offended if u say the wrong words.....esp. Buffalo and Kwai :o:o:o:p

naemlo
02-10-2008, 12:09 AM
lol nice hokkien translation :D

Talk abt hokkien translation, my first Hokkien to Thai, "Mong kuey arai" :D

NobleEagle
02-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Bro this one also doesnt translate if there r more than one english word :(

example when is your next holiday etc...

ProfessorOokami
02-10-2008, 12:12 AM
hehehe np bro PO sorry for the spelling mistake .. i remember 2 are not in used anymore from the consonants.

No worries bro.

Yeah, 2 of the consonants are obsolete now [they are from the "k" series] but you will meet them when you study old literature [not my cup of tea :(]